Friday Five: Fishing
The ocean of music has eleventy zillion songs about fishing, but we can only reel in five. Cast your opinion on your favorite fishing songs below: you don’t even need a license.
5. Nitty Gritty Dirt Band – “Fishin’ in the Dark”
This classic song was released back in 1987 and went to Number One. Did you know that Emerson Drive and Garth Brooks released versions of it as well?
4. Robert Earl Keen – “Five Pound Bass”
As Keen explains in the video, while the bass in question started out as a literal interpretation, it went on to be a metaphor for anything that was good in life. Here’s hoping you catch your five pound bass soon.
3. Craig Morgan – “Fish Weren’t Bitin’”
This Ole Boy finds a better use for his time than sitting by the water when the fish aren’t cooperating.
2. David Lee Murphy – “Fish Ain’t Biting”
Murphy’s 1994 single comparing the dating game to fishing went to number 52 on the charts. Subsequent singles in “Party Crowd” and “Dust on the Bottle” did a little better.
1. Andy Griffith – “The Fishin’ Hole”
Because the theme to The Andy Griffith Show used only the whistling portion of this song, many folks don’t know it was a full-length song with lyrics about…you guessed it: fishing.
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."