Friday Five: Fishing
The ocean of music has eleventy zillion songs about fishing, but we can only reel in five. Cast your opinion on your favorite fishing songs below: you don’t even need a license.
5. Nitty Gritty Dirt Band – “Fishin’ in the Dark”
This classic song was released back in 1987 and went to Number One. Did you know that Emerson Drive and Garth Brooks released versions of it as well?
4. Robert Earl Keen – “Five Pound Bass”
As Keen explains in the video, while the bass in question started out as a literal interpretation, it went on to be a metaphor for anything that was good in life. Here’s hoping you catch your five pound bass soon.
3. Craig Morgan – “Fish Weren’t Bitin’”
This Ole Boy finds a better use for his time than sitting by the water when the fish aren’t cooperating.
2. David Lee Murphy – “Fish Ain’t Biting”
Murphy’s 1994 single comparing the dating game to fishing went to number 52 on the charts. Subsequent singles in “Party Crowd” and “Dust on the Bottle” did a little better.
1. Andy Griffith – “The Fishin’ Hole”
Because the theme to The Andy Griffith Show used only the whistling portion of this song, many folks don’t know it was a full-length song with lyrics about…you guessed it: fishing.
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …
- Dave D.: Good stuff, as always. My copy of Producing Country arrived yesterday, and it looks to be as good as …
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.