Friday Five: Fishing
The ocean of music has eleventy zillion songs about fishing, but we can only reel in five. Cast your opinion on your favorite fishing songs below: you don’t even need a license.
5. Nitty Gritty Dirt Band – “Fishin’ in the Dark”
This classic song was released back in 1987 and went to Number One. Did you know that Emerson Drive and Garth Brooks released versions of it as well?
4. Robert Earl Keen – “Five Pound Bass”
As Keen explains in the video, while the bass in question started out as a literal interpretation, it went on to be a metaphor for anything that was good in life. Here’s hoping you catch your five pound bass soon.
3. Craig Morgan – “Fish Weren’t Bitin’”
This Ole Boy finds a better use for his time than sitting by the water when the fish aren’t cooperating.
2. David Lee Murphy – “Fish Ain’t Biting”
Murphy’s 1994 single comparing the dating game to fishing went to number 52 on the charts. Subsequent singles in “Party Crowd” and “Dust on the Bottle” did a little better.
1. Andy Griffith – “The Fishin’ Hole”
Because the theme to The Andy Griffith Show used only the whistling portion of this song, many folks don’t know it was a full-length song with lyrics about…you guessed it: fishing.
- Leeann Ward: Yes, we know that it's technically a Keith Whitley song, as Juli noted above.
- Six String Richie: It's great to hear that Sundy Best has a new album coming out. I really encourage anybody that reads …
- Louie: "Brotherly Love," IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith's …
- Erik North: A big loss for not only the Nashville songwriting community, but for songwriting communities everywhere, in my opinion, that Paul …
- luckyoldsun: If they're only allowed one modern inductee per year in the H-o-F, then there's a backlog developing. You have Skaggs, …
- Leeann Ward: I'm not an ETC fan, but I do love "Brotherly Love" with Keith Whitley.
- luckyoldsun: It's got to be "What I'd Say." (I think that's the title.) There was some question, I believe, over whether …
- Paul W Dennis: probably "Nobody Falls Like A Fool" or "Silent Treatment"
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Where in heck's name is "That Was A Close One"?!?!? It's the guy's best song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrR_2rXiKA0
- Cody: Love seeing ETC getting some credit! My five, in no particular order at first; Crowd Around the Corner Home So Fine I Have …