Friday Five: Executioners’ Songs
There are many songs about those who’ve been sentenced to death, but fewer about those on the other end of the rope. Here are five.
5. Fairport Convention – “Poor Will and the Jolly Hangman”
“Here’s to the jolly hangman / He’ll hang you the best that he can.” That sounds comforting; if I were on the gallows, I’d hate for my last minutes to be ruined by an underachiever who wouldn’t, for example, properly calculate the drop.
4. Mason Proffit – “Two Hangmen”
What happens when one hangman is ordered to hang another? Spoiler alert: it doesn’t end well.
3. Henry Wagons – “A Hangman’s Work is Never Done”
“It’s been a killer of a day” indeed.
2. Marty Stuart – “Hangman”
As you’ll hear Stuart mention in the video below, “Hangman” came from a conversation with Johnny Cash in which the men wondered about the psychological effects executions had on the executioner. In this case, the hangman tries to chase away his ghosts with booze and dope. (Fellow history buffs: you can read about the lives of real hangmen, some of whom struggled to cope with their work, in this book; it’s pretty good.)
1. Slaid Cleaves – “Twistin’”
Singing from the hangman’s perspective, Cleaves unflinchingly depicts the atmosphere surrounding a public execution in this song based on one of many similar events that occurred in countless town squares: “Men held up their babies to see / Reporters jotted down a tale / Hawkers brought out lemonade / And the ladies headed for the hanging day sale.”
- Barry Mazor: I'll have to see if Dr. Green's ever read 3 Lives; it's a good book.
- Juli Thanki: Rose is a rose is a rose is a yellow rose of Texas. I smell a terrible concept album!
- Barry Mazor: Pigeons on the grass, alas.. Come-a kai-yai yippy, yippy ay.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Barry, thanks for the great sentimental look at Winchester. I will admit that he is an artist that was largely …
- Arlene: Thanks for this article, Barry. It's not often that an artist brings another performer to tears during a guitar pull. …
- Leeann: At any rate, I'll still look forward to his next album, because I'm a fan of his music.
- Leeann: Yes, if he had said that, I'd be with him, but e lumped all of country music, including the Grand …
- mrsandy: My understanding is Emmylou's concert was cancelled was because her 92-y.o. mother passed away.
- Erik North: I would have to say that, even though I agree that JTE does generalize about country music excessively, I also …
- Leeann: I think he generalized way too much, too black and white. He reminded me too much of Ryan Adams, who …