Friday Five: Earl Scruggs
Earl Scruggs turns 88 today, so to celebrate the five-string legend—who is also a mighty fine guitar player and singer—we reached out to a few of the myriad banjo players he’s has influenced over the past sixty-plus years and asked them to select their favorite Scruggs tune. Give a listen to the four songs below while you check out the Tennessean‘s Scruggs photo gallery, and tell us: what’s your personal favorite Earl Scruggs song? This morning, mine is “Ground Speed.”
Eric Gibson: My favorite is “Flint Hill Special” because Earl’s recording of it on the Carnegie Hall album is what hooked me on banjo. His playing was electric and the crowd’s reaction sent a chill up my spine. I love how he and the band obliged and played through the song again. Earl knew how to tickle your ear with his playing, and I think “Flint Hill Special” is a perfect example.
Guitar: “You Are My Flower.” Because, next to Maybelle Carter, it’s the best.
Lee Marcus: My personal favorite Earl Scruggs tune is “Reuben.” It is one of the simplest, yet most soulful banjo instrumentals written thus far. And no one can play it with more soul than Mr. Scruggs.
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY
- Arlene: I suspect you'll also be including an episode of L.A. Law....
- luckyoldsun: The Johnny Cash episode was the one Columbo case where you really felt "the b--- had it coming."
- A.B.: Janice - I saw that too and sent him a Tweet about it.
- Janice Brooks: Peter Cooper needs an edit. Stringbean did not die in 1964.
- Leeann: I can't contribute to this list, but I did think of Steve Earle and The Wire. It's not my …
- Jeremy Dylan: That was a great episode of Monk. The "Georgia On My Mind" scene is just heartbreaking.