Friday Five: Disneyland
Just as it was when we tackled a Friday Five about the Country Bear Jamboree back in 2011, Disneyland is on the mind of this Engine 145 writer, who is probably waiting in the “It’s a Small World” line with his kids as you’re reading this. The title of “Happiest Place on Earth” goes to this expensive oasis in Anaheim, California, which has been referenced in many songs since the park opened in 1955.
5. Glen Campbell and Bobbie Gentry – “Little Green Apples”
“And there’s no such thing as Doctor Seuss or Disneyland, and Mother Goose, no nursery rhyme.”
This song, which was penned by Bobby Russell (who won Song of the Year and Best Country Song Grammy Awards for it)), has been recorded by Roger Miller, Frank Sinatra, The Temptations, to name just a few. These two recorded it in 1968 for Bobbie Gentry and Glen Campbell.
4. Jimmy Buffett – “Pencil Thin Mustache”
Frequently played at Buffett’s concerts, the nostalgic “Pencil Thin Mustache,” released in 1974, salutes Disneyland, Errol Flynn, Brylcreem, and lots more.
3. Robert Earl Keen – “What I Really Mean”
Life is just an endless spinning tea cup ride without the one you love. “Tonight we’re in the city, and it’s like Disneyland / But I’m sick and tired and I can’t wait to get back home again / And I have this dream… you’ll be waitin’ there, what I really mean… I wish you were here.”
2. Phil Ochs – “Ballad of William Worthy”
Ochs tells the story of journalism and activist William Worthy, who traveled to Cuba in the early 1960s despite the State Department’s regulations. He then advises, “T the list grows larger you must try to understand / Try hard not to be surprised if someday you should hear / The whole world is off limits, visit Disneyland this year.”
1. CW McCall – “Audubon”
McCall salutes his hometown of Audubon, Iowa, in this song, which topped out at #56 in 1977. Sounds like the town had some pretty interesting characters: “Now Mavis had all of her ducks in a row / Weighed 98 pounds, put on quite a show…Not a hell of a lot upstairs, but from there on down, Disneyland!”
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …
- Donald: I'm guessing that is meant to read 're-release' Detroit to Wheeling, as the double album originally appeared on Pinecastle in …
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY
- Arlene: I suspect you'll also be including an episode of L.A. Law....
- luckyoldsun: The Johnny Cash episode was the one Columbo case where you really felt "the b--- had it coming."