Friday Five: Country Music on The Muppet Show
And now let’s get things started
Why don’t you get things started
It’s time to get things started
On the most sensational inspirational celebrational Muppetational
This is what we call the Muppet Show!
Don’t deny it. You were singing along just now…
Kermit taught us that it’s not easy being green. Or in Gonzo’s case, blue. For five years, beginning in 1976, little felt characters brought us as much laughter and entertainment as anything else on television. For 120 episodes, Fozzie the Bear, Miss Piggy, Scooter, Rowlf, Beaker, Sam the Eagle, Animal and various friends did everything they could do to make life hell for Statler and Waldorf.
But along the way during this beloved show, a series of guest stars–most notably country music guest stars–sang alongside Jim Henson’s family doing originals and parodies of their biggest hits. It was a veritable who’s who of big names in country music. Names like Linda Ronstadt, Kris Kristofferson, Crystal Gayle, Anne Murray, Roy Rogers and Dale Evans appeared in various episodes. Even Waylon Jennings did a duet with Big Bird in a non-Muppets Show movie Follow That Bird. John Denver appeared in two exclusive Muppets specials (John Denver & the Muppets: A Christmas Together and John Denver & the Muppets: Rocky Mountain Holiday.)
Without further ado, here’s a Friday Five of great appearances by country music artists on The Muppet Show.
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."
- Jack Williams: Lynch Blues - Corey Harris Countrycide (The Ballad of Ed and Charlie Brown) - Alvin Youngblood Hart Divine Object of Hatred - …
- TexasVet: Marty Robbins - The Hanging Tree https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xczpRc6_yBA
- Janice Brooks: Nice lineup I think I read today was the Emmett Till incident.