Friday Five: Country Music on The Muppet Show
And now let’s get things started
Why don’t you get things started
It’s time to get things started
On the most sensational inspirational celebrational Muppetational
This is what we call the Muppet Show!
Don’t deny it. You were singing along just now…
Kermit taught us that it’s not easy being green. Or in Gonzo’s case, blue. For five years, beginning in 1976, little felt characters brought us as much laughter and entertainment as anything else on television. For 120 episodes, Fozzie the Bear, Miss Piggy, Scooter, Rowlf, Beaker, Sam the Eagle, Animal and various friends did everything they could do to make life hell for Statler and Waldorf.
But along the way during this beloved show, a series of guest stars–most notably country music guest stars–sang alongside Jim Henson’s family doing originals and parodies of their biggest hits. It was a veritable who’s who of big names in country music. Names like Linda Ronstadt, Kris Kristofferson, Crystal Gayle, Anne Murray, Roy Rogers and Dale Evans appeared in various episodes. Even Waylon Jennings did a duet with Big Bird in a non-Muppets Show movie Follow That Bird. John Denver appeared in two exclusive Muppets specials (John Denver & the Muppets: A Christmas Together and John Denver & the Muppets: Rocky Mountain Holiday.)
Without further ado, here’s a Friday Five of great appearances by country music artists on The Muppet Show.
- Bobby P.: Thanks for the link to my one hit wonder article!
- Leeann: I'm glad you reviewed this album. I think your rating is what I'd give it too. It's a good album, …
- luckyoldsun: That Bobby Bare/Bill Parsons story has been often told, but I still don't quite understand how two then-nobodies could go …
- Leeann: The Jack Clement album is quite good!
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …