Friday Five: Cop Shows
Lately it’s been too hot to venture outside my apartment; this would be unfortunate if it weren’t for the 200 channels of reruns keeping me company. Every now and again I’ll catch a familiar face on one of those shows, which is why today’s Friday Five celebrates country stars who’ve guest starred on police procedurals. Stay tuned for a future edition about country singers appearing on law dramas.
5. Rascal Flatts – CSI
The pop-country band guest starred on “Unshockable,” a 2010 episode in which Jay DeMarcus is mysteriously – and hilariously — electrocuted onstage.
4. Willie Nelson – Monk
When Nelson’s tour manager, Sonny Cross, is found murdered, the Red Headed Stranger is, of course, a prime suspect. Adrian Monk, a detective with a severe case of OCD, investigates and discovered that the murderer wasn’t Nelson, but a formerly-blind-but-now-seeing lady who shot Cross as revenge for a DUI accident he caused that killed her parents.
The episode ends with Willie and Monk – who apparently plays the clarinet when not solving murders — performing “Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain” together.
3. Miranda Lambert – Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
Normally on SVU, the celebrity guest star is the serial killer/rapist/Benson’s boyfriend. But in this episode, Miranda Lambert plays one of the victims, wannabe television star Lacey, and her acting duties mostly consist of wearing a cool leather jacket and being drugged and groped by Michael McKean.
2. Willie Nelson – Miami Vice
In this third season episode, Willie plays Jake Pierson, a former Texas Ranger who’s seeking revenge on the drug dealer who murdered his partner’s son. He gets it, though he’s also killed in the gunfight.
Steve Buscemi appears in this episode. Here he is getting his ass kicked by some goons before Willie and his hideous blazer show up to threaten him.
1. Johnny Cash – Columbo
In the episode “Swan Song,” Cash was Tommy Brown, a popular gospel singer whose wife dies in a plane crash that Tommy, a former paratrooper, just happens to survive. Good thing Lt. Columbo is on the case.
- mrsandy: Also worth noting: Priscilla Mitchell was Jerry Reed's widow.
- Leeann Ward: Wow! My heart goes out to Allison Moorer. She's had so many terrible things happen in her life. It's too …
- Leeann Ward: I must have this audio book!
- Juli Thanki: Ha! Same thing happened at Sturgill Simpson's show I went to last month, only he was singing "I Never Go …
- Dave D.: On the topic of Lee Ann and dark songs, the funniest moment at this year's Americana Fest was during her …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: I love Lori McKenna. Coming from Massachusetts, she's our local girl. I've been fortunate to see her in concert a …
- bll: I suss her re-recording her hits for 'Gwendolen records' means she can stop MCA from releasing her hits against her.
- Greg Judy: Cooler festivals and marching bands at the football games!
- kevin ilinger: Fall colors bluegrass and apple cider
- luckyoldsun: If I was a "long-time fan" of Trisha, I'd probably spring for the CD.