Friday Five: Cop Shows
Lately it’s been too hot to venture outside my apartment; this would be unfortunate if it weren’t for the 200 channels of reruns keeping me company. Every now and again I’ll catch a familiar face on one of those shows, which is why today’s Friday Five celebrates country stars who’ve guest starred on police procedurals. Stay tuned for a future edition about country singers appearing on law dramas.
5. Rascal Flatts – CSI
The pop-country band guest starred on “Unshockable,” a 2010 episode in which Jay DeMarcus is mysteriously – and hilariously — electrocuted onstage.
4. Willie Nelson – Monk
When Nelson’s tour manager, Sonny Cross, is found murdered, the Red Headed Stranger is, of course, a prime suspect. Adrian Monk, a detective with a severe case of OCD, investigates and discovered that the murderer wasn’t Nelson, but a formerly-blind-but-now-seeing lady who shot Cross as revenge for a DUI accident he caused that killed her parents.
The episode ends with Willie and Monk – who apparently plays the clarinet when not solving murders — performing “Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain” together.
3. Miranda Lambert – Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
Normally on SVU, the celebrity guest star is the serial killer/rapist/Benson’s boyfriend. But in this episode, Miranda Lambert plays one of the victims, wannabe television star Lacey, and her acting duties mostly consist of wearing a cool leather jacket and being drugged and groped by Michael McKean.
2. Willie Nelson – Miami Vice
In this third season episode, Willie plays Jake Pierson, a former Texas Ranger who’s seeking revenge on the drug dealer who murdered his partner’s son. He gets it, though he’s also killed in the gunfight.
Steve Buscemi appears in this episode. Here he is getting his ass kicked by some goons before Willie and his hideous blazer show up to threaten him.
1. Johnny Cash – Columbo
In the episode “Swan Song,” Cash was Tommy Brown, a popular gospel singer whose wife dies in a plane crash that Tommy, a former paratrooper, just happens to survive. Good thing Lt. Columbo is on the case.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.