Friday Five: Cola
Nectar of the Gods. That’s what a friend of mine and I call the sweet goodness that is known as Coca-Cola. It hits the spot for millions of patrons a day in more than 200 different countries. That’s not too bad for something that was intended as a patent medicine when it was invented by John Pemberton in 1886. The dark brown soda is also the inspiration behind many different songs and soft drink companies over the years. What is your favorite (song, that is, not soft drink)?
5. Mel Tillis – “Coca-Cola Cowboy”
This gem was a Number One hit back in 1979 and was featured in the Clint Eastwood film, Every Which Way But Loose.
4. Wanda Jackson – “Rum and Coca-Cola”
A hit for The Andrews Sisters in 1945, this remake was on Jackson’s 2011 album, The Party Ain’t Over.
3. Roy Orbison – Coca-Cola Commercial
The sunglasses-sporting great one was also a pitch man for Coca-Cola back in the day.
2. Dottie West- “Country Sunshine”
This tune was originally released in a Coca-Cola commercial in the early 1970s. It was so popular that West cut it as a single and named an album after the song as well. It became a #2 hit. It is the reason she got the nickname of Miss Country Sunshine.
1. NRBQ – “RC Cola and a Moon Pie”
Big Bill Lister released the first version of this song in the 1950s, but this cover by NRBQ is an excellent version of the classic as well.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.