Friday Five: Cola
Nectar of the Gods. That’s what a friend of mine and I call the sweet goodness that is known as Coca-Cola. It hits the spot for millions of patrons a day in more than 200 different countries. That’s not too bad for something that was intended as a patent medicine when it was invented by John Pemberton in 1886. The dark brown soda is also the inspiration behind many different songs and soft drink companies over the years. What is your favorite (song, that is, not soft drink)?
5. Mel Tillis – “Coca-Cola Cowboy”
This gem was a Number One hit back in 1979 and was featured in the Clint Eastwood film, Every Which Way But Loose.
4. Wanda Jackson – “Rum and Coca-Cola”
A hit for The Andrews Sisters in 1945, this remake was on Jackson’s 2011 album, The Party Ain’t Over.
3. Roy Orbison – Coca-Cola Commercial
The sunglasses-sporting great one was also a pitch man for Coca-Cola back in the day.
2. Dottie West- “Country Sunshine”
This tune was originally released in a Coca-Cola commercial in the early 1970s. It was so popular that West cut it as a single and named an album after the song as well. It became a #2 hit. It is the reason she got the nickname of Miss Country Sunshine.
1. NRBQ – “RC Cola and a Moon Pie”
Big Bill Lister released the first version of this song in the 1950s, but this cover by NRBQ is an excellent version of the classic as well.
- Deremy Jylan: I heard that Jim Lauderdale documentary is some super-duper great movie stuff. Makes Scorsese's THE LAST WALTZ look like Wiseau's …
- Barry Mazor: I'll have to see if Dr. Green's ever read 3 Lives; it's a good book.
- Juli Thanki: Rose is a rose is a rose is a yellow rose of Texas. I smell a terrible concept album!
- Barry Mazor: Pigeons on the grass, alas.. Come-a kai-yai yippy, yippy ay.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Barry, thanks for the great sentimental look at Winchester. I will admit that he is an artist that was largely …
- Arlene: Thanks for this article, Barry. It's not often that an artist brings another performer to tears during a guitar pull. …
- Leeann: At any rate, I'll still look forward to his next album, because I'm a fan of his music.
- Leeann: Yes, if he had said that, I'd be with him, but e lumped all of country music, including the Grand …
- mrsandy: My understanding is Emmylou's concert was cancelled was because her 92-y.o. mother passed away.
- Erik North: I would have to say that, even though I agree that JTE does generalize about country music excessively, I also …