Friday Five: The Class of 1993
Twenty years ago today, the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame inducted one of the strongest classes it’s ever had: Don Schlitz, Red Lane, and Conway Twitty. The Hall of Fame just opened a new permanent exhibition gallery as part of the opening of the new Music City Center in Nashville and these three artists are featured prominently. The years have done nothing to dissipate the influence that these three writers have had on the fabric of country music history. What is your favorite Schlitz-, Lane-, or Twitty-penned track?
5. Don Schlitz – “The Gambler”
The inclusion of this iconic track seems only appropriate as the singer that made it famous, Kenny Rogers, is one of this year’s inductees into the Country Music Hall of Fame.
4. Red Lane – “They Don’t Make Love Like They Used To”
Eddy Arnold recorded this song first back in 1969, but here’s Lane–who wrote songs recorded by Waylon Jennings, John Conlee, Dottie West, and Faron Young, to name a few–singing it himself.
3. Conway Twitty – “Hello Darlin’”
Conway Twitty released this single in 1970 and it would become his signature song.
2. Don Schlitz – “Forever and Ever, Amen”
Randy Travis is the voice of this song, but Schlitz is the pen behind it. He’s written 24 Number One singles over the course of his career.
1. Conway Twitty – “It’s Only Make Believe”
This was Twitty’s first chart-topping hit and his only Number One on the pop charts. He’s got some serious Elvis mojo going on in this track, which was co-written with Jack Nance.
- A.B.: I think I understand why the eating disorder facility wants to be located there besides it being the former Cash …
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …
- Dave D.: Good stuff, as always. My copy of Producing Country arrived yesterday, and it looks to be as good as …
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.