Friday Five: Chris LeDoux
Chris LeDoux passed away on this day in 2005 at the age of 56. Over the course of his career, he recorded three dozen albums, several of which were self-released. Here are five of my favorite LeDoux tunes; what are yours?
5. “Copenhagen Angel”
Ladies, if a bucking horse knocks out your teeth, it’s okay, because you’ll a) look tough and b) free up some room for more Copenhagen.
4. “Hooked on an 8 Second Ride”
This song sums up the thrill of the rodeo and the mindset of bull riders, and sets it all to driving country-rock.
3. “Ain’t No Place for a Country Boy”
The big city loses its appeal once a country boy gets there and experiences the noises, smells, and people firsthand. In true, heartbreaking ballad fashion, the young man is forced to sell his grandfather’s watch in order to afford bus fare back home.
2. “Tougher Than the Rest”
It might not have been particularly successful on the charts, but this Springsteen cover, from 1994 album Haywire, is a fine one.
1. “Whatcha Gonna Do with a Cowboy?”
This toetapper, recorded with Garth Brooks, a major fan and supporter of LeDoux, hit #7 on the charts in 1992, making it the most successful single of LeDoux’s career. It’s also the first Chris LeDoux song I heard, so I’ve got a soft spot for it.
- Leeann Ward: Way to go to David Cantwell for getting a name drop! Great interview, Juli! Womack's new album is awesome! I've not always …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Great interview as always, Juli! The new album is fantastic. "Same Kind of Different" is my favorite cut although "Fly" is …
- Dave D.: Good interview. Looking forward to the new record, and particularly interested in hearing her version of Brennen Leigh's "Sleeping with …
- nm: I guess it's not surprising that a singer who gets her songs all over the place, the way Womack does, …
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!
- Donald: LOS, you made me giggle. Thank you.
- luckyoldsun: An in related news, an E.P.A. inspector is preparing to slap the cuffs on Nancy Jones tomorrow.
- luckyoldsun: Looks like old Lynn is not done saying "I beg your pardon..."