Friday Five: Chris LeDoux
Chris LeDoux passed away on this day in 2005 at the age of 56. Over the course of his career, he recorded three dozen albums, several of which were self-released. Here are five of my favorite LeDoux tunes; what are yours?
5. “Copenhagen Angel”
Ladies, if a bucking horse knocks out your teeth, it’s okay, because you’ll a) look tough and b) free up some room for more Copenhagen.
4. “Hooked on an 8 Second Ride”
This song sums up the thrill of the rodeo and the mindset of bull riders, and sets it all to driving country-rock.
3. “Ain’t No Place for a Country Boy”
The big city loses its appeal once a country boy gets there and experiences the noises, smells, and people firsthand. In true, heartbreaking ballad fashion, the young man is forced to sell his grandfather’s watch in order to afford bus fare back home.
2. “Tougher Than the Rest”
It might not have been particularly successful on the charts, but this Springsteen cover, from 1994 album Haywire, is a fine one.
1. “Whatcha Gonna Do with a Cowboy?”
This toetapper, recorded with Garth Brooks, a major fan and supporter of LeDoux, hit #7 on the charts in 1992, making it the most successful single of LeDoux’s career. It’s also the first Chris LeDoux song I heard, so I’ve got a soft spot for it.
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …
- Dave D.: Good stuff, as always. My copy of Producing Country arrived yesterday, and it looks to be as good as …
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.