Friday Five: Carl Smith
On this date in 1927, a future country legend named Carl Smith was born. Smith had thirty Top Ten hits in the 1950s alone, had nearly 100 different songs hit the country charts over his career and was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2003. He was also married to June Carter for five years; together, they had another music sensation in Carlene Carter. Happy birthday, “Mister Country.”
5. “Hey Joe”
This gem spent eight weeks on top of the charts back in 1953 and had an “answer song” released by Kitty Wells by the same name later the year that also hit Number One.
This song had two lives, one upon Smith’s original release and again as a Number One hit for Mickey Gilley in 1974.
This was never released as a single, but it features Tex Ritter. And you can’t ever go wrong with Tex Ritter.
2. “Deep Water”
This was the last Top Ten single of Carl Smith’s career, released in 1967. Check out all of the video’s sartorial deliciousness.
1. “How I Love Them Old Songs”
This barely cracked the Top 20 when it was released in 1970, and there were certainly bigger hits in his career, but it’s a personal favorite.
- luckyoldsun: Actually, it strikes me as a rather iffy subject for a museum. What kind of exhibits would they have? Jones …
- Tom: ...good idea, a george jones museum in nashville. is there a building tall enough for a voice and a career …
- mrsandy: Also worth noting: Priscilla Mitchell was Jerry Reed's widow.
- Leeann Ward: Wow! My heart goes out to Allison Moorer. She's had so many terrible things happen in her life. It's too …
- Leeann Ward: I must have this audio book!
- Juli Thanki: Ha! Same thing happened at Sturgill Simpson's show I went to last month, only he was singing "I Never Go …
- Dave D.: On the topic of Lee Ann and dark songs, the funniest moment at this year's Americana Fest was during her …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: I love Lori McKenna. Coming from Massachusetts, she's our local girl. I've been fortunate to see her in concert a …
- bll: I suss her re-recording her hits for 'Gwendolen records' means she can stop MCA from releasing her hits against her.
- Greg Judy: Cooler festivals and marching bands at the football games!