Friday Five: Carl Smith
On this date in 1927, a future country legend named Carl Smith was born. Smith had thirty Top Ten hits in the 1950s alone, had nearly 100 different songs hit the country charts over his career and was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2003. He was also married to June Carter for five years; together, they had another music sensation in Carlene Carter. Happy birthday, “Mister Country.”
5. “Hey Joe”
This gem spent eight weeks on top of the charts back in 1953 and had an “answer song” released by Kitty Wells by the same name later the year that also hit Number One.
This song had two lives, one upon Smith’s original release and again as a Number One hit for Mickey Gilley in 1974.
This was never released as a single, but it features Tex Ritter. And you can’t ever go wrong with Tex Ritter.
2. “Deep Water”
This was the last Top Ten single of Carl Smith’s career, released in 1967. Check out all of the video’s sartorial deliciousness.
1. “How I Love Them Old Songs”
This barely cracked the Top 20 when it was released in 1970, and there were certainly bigger hits in his career, but it’s a personal favorite.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.