Friday Five: Carl Smith
On this date in 1927, a future country legend named Carl Smith was born. Smith had thirty Top Ten hits in the 1950s alone, had nearly 100 different songs hit the country charts over his career and was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2003. He was also married to June Carter for five years; together, they had another music sensation in Carlene Carter. Happy birthday, “Mister Country.”
5. “Hey Joe”
This gem spent eight weeks on top of the charts back in 1953 and had an “answer song” released by Kitty Wells by the same name later the year that also hit Number One.
This song had two lives, one upon Smith’s original release and again as a Number One hit for Mickey Gilley in 1974.
This was never released as a single, but it features Tex Ritter. And you can’t ever go wrong with Tex Ritter.
2. “Deep Water”
This was the last Top Ten single of Carl Smith’s career, released in 1967. Check out all of the video’s sartorial deliciousness.
1. “How I Love Them Old Songs”
This barely cracked the Top 20 when it was released in 1970, and there were certainly bigger hits in his career, but it’s a personal favorite.
- Leeann Ward: Sheesh, Paul, that's a random/strange dig!
- Jack Williams: After reading that New Yorker article, I canceled my pre-order of the Basement Tapes box set. I love Bob …
- Leeann Ward: Wow! How terrible for Dixie Hall and Tom.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Another twisted collection of songs to put into the Friday Five Hall of Fame, Juli.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …