Friday Five: Carl Smith
On this date in 1927, a future country legend named Carl Smith was born. Smith had thirty Top Ten hits in the 1950s alone, had nearly 100 different songs hit the country charts over his career and was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2003. He was also married to June Carter for five years; together, they had another music sensation in Carlene Carter. Happy birthday, “Mister Country.”
5. “Hey Joe”
This gem spent eight weeks on top of the charts back in 1953 and had an “answer song” released by Kitty Wells by the same name later the year that also hit Number One.
This song had two lives, one upon Smith’s original release and again as a Number One hit for Mickey Gilley in 1974.
This was never released as a single, but it features Tex Ritter. And you can’t ever go wrong with Tex Ritter.
2. “Deep Water”
This was the last Top Ten single of Carl Smith’s career, released in 1967. Check out all of the video’s sartorial deliciousness.
1. “How I Love Them Old Songs”
This barely cracked the Top 20 when it was released in 1970, and there were certainly bigger hits in his career, but it’s a personal favorite.
- Jack: The Everly Brothers "Song Our Daddy Taught Us" and "Roots" LPs look good.
- Juli Thanki: Indeed, Richie. Leslie Knope is my spirit animal.
- Six String Richie: That Parks & Rec. clip was perfection! Everybody reading this blog should watch it even if they don't watch the …
- Ben Foster: I'm coveting Dolly Parton's "Blue Smoke" 45.
- Barry Mazor: Speculation is free!
- Jack: Taste of Country has a pretty shallow point of view, and this little blurb is exhibit A.
- Leeann Ward: It is admittedly fun to speculate about these things.
- luckyoldsun: I wonder if the key to learning Gong Kwon Yu Sul is to be higher than a kite. lol
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I didn't say or imply that I have superior knowledge about the nominating process or workings--I'm just willing to make …
- CraigR.: After watching Easton Corbin's video I am left wondering where the man who made " I'm A Little Bit More …