Friday Five: Buddy Miller
In addition to releasing his own solo records and projects with his wife Julie, Buddy Miller is one of the most in-demand musicians in American roots music. Chances are that even if you don’t own any of his own records, you have at least half a dozen albums in your collection featuring his singing or guitar playing. Here are a few of my favorite songs on which Miller has appeared as a guest. What are your favorite Buddy Miller cameos?
Rodriguez covered this Buddy and Julie song (which also appeared on Buddy’s United Universal House of Prayer and Levon Helm’s Dirt Farmer) for her 2010 album Love & Circumstance.
This song, penned by Buddy and Julie, appears on Womack’s late ‘90s album Some Things I Know. Womack must be a fan of the Millers, because on her next album, she cut two of Julie’s songs, including the Buddy co-write and Americana staple “Does My Ring Burn Your Finger.” Anyway, as far as love songs go, you don’t get much better than lyrics like “Tell the world to stop turning around/Tell the sky not to be so blue…But don’t tell me to stop loving you.”
Miller’s voice is rougher around the edges than the Mills Brothers’ version, but it suits this song from a 2010 Preservation Hall benefit album.
I could listen to these two sing gospel songs all day long. Or any songs, really.
On this achingly gorgeous song from Harris’ 1998 live album Spyboy, Miller ably fills Gram Parsons’ role as Emmylou’s duet partner.
- Jack: The Everly Brothers "Song Our Daddy Taught Us" and "Roots" LPs look good.
- Juli Thanki: Indeed, Richie. Leslie Knope is my spirit animal.
- Six String Richie: That Parks & Rec. clip was perfection! Everybody reading this blog should watch it even if they don't watch the …
- Ben Foster: I'm coveting Dolly Parton's "Blue Smoke" 45.
- Barry Mazor: Speculation is free!
- Jack: Taste of Country has a pretty shallow point of view, and this little blurb is exhibit A.
- Leeann Ward: It is admittedly fun to speculate about these things.
- luckyoldsun: I wonder if the key to learning Gong Kwon Yu Sul is to be higher than a kite. lol
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I didn't say or imply that I have superior knowledge about the nominating process or workings--I'm just willing to make …
- CraigR.: After watching Easton Corbin's video I am left wondering where the man who made " I'm A Little Bit More …