Friday Five: Breezes
The recent summer month has been a particularly brutal one across the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast part of theUnited States. Heat records have been broken across several states and summer-related storms knocked out power – and air conditioning — to millions of people. What folks need more than anything is a cool breeze. Here comes Engine 145 to the rescue.
If a breeze doesn’t beat the heat, certainly an icy, alcoholic treat from the king of margaritas will help do the trick.
“Rainbow colored flowers kissed with early morning sun/The aster and the dahlia and wild geraniums/Drops of morning dew still linger on the iris leaves” Can’t you just feel the coolness on your skin?
3. David Allan Coe – “Call Me the Breeze”
The only thing scarier than the weather lately could be David Allan Coe’s appearance these days. This J.J. Cale tune has been most famously covered by Lynyrd Skynyrd, but Bobby Bare and Johnny Cash have recorded their own covers, too.
Perhaps if the heat doesn’t ever go away, a trip to Shanghai, China is in order. It’ll still be hot, but the fun of playing tourist will make up for that.
1. Jim Reeves – “Sea Breeze”
With this tune, you need to pick your poison. You can catch a little “Sea Breeze”and cool off, but suffer from heartache… or don’t listen and pass out from heat stroke. Choose your own adventure.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …
- Donald: I'm guessing that is meant to read 're-release' Detroit to Wheeling, as the double album originally appeared on Pinecastle in …
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY
- Arlene: I suspect you'll also be including an episode of L.A. Law....
- luckyoldsun: The Johnny Cash episode was the one Columbo case where you really felt "the b--- had it coming."
- A.B.: Janice - I saw that too and sent him a Tweet about it.