Friday Five: Breezes
The recent summer month has been a particularly brutal one across the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast part of theUnited States. Heat records have been broken across several states and summer-related storms knocked out power – and air conditioning — to millions of people. What folks need more than anything is a cool breeze. Here comes Engine 145 to the rescue.
If a breeze doesn’t beat the heat, certainly an icy, alcoholic treat from the king of margaritas will help do the trick.
“Rainbow colored flowers kissed with early morning sun/The aster and the dahlia and wild geraniums/Drops of morning dew still linger on the iris leaves” Can’t you just feel the coolness on your skin?
3. David Allan Coe – “Call Me the Breeze”
The only thing scarier than the weather lately could be David Allan Coe’s appearance these days. This J.J. Cale tune has been most famously covered by Lynyrd Skynyrd, but Bobby Bare and Johnny Cash have recorded their own covers, too.
Perhaps if the heat doesn’t ever go away, a trip to Shanghai, China is in order. It’ll still be hot, but the fun of playing tourist will make up for that.
1. Jim Reeves – “Sea Breeze”
With this tune, you need to pick your poison. You can catch a little “Sea Breeze”and cool off, but suffer from heartache… or don’t listen and pass out from heat stroke. Choose your own adventure.
- nm: Does anyone know whatever became of the album that Shelby Lynne and Allison Moorer were going to do together?
- luckyoldsun: I'm not surprised. Artists who can't get seem to get a satisfactory deal with a commercial label always say how …
- Jack Williams: I'm a little surprised to hear of Shelby Lynne signing with another label, even if it is Rounder. She …
- A.B.: THREE new albums from Sturgill next year?! I'm excited for that!
- Keith Samuels: I can't wait to listen to the entire recording. What a treasure.
- numberonecountryfan: She did say the version of “How Do I Live” is the “country” version which was previously released to radio …
- bll: I'm happy for any new music from Trisha. I hope MCA doesn't decide to repackage her old stuff and release …
- Barry Mazor: I know for a fact that most of the album was recorded fresh and new with Garth Fundis some months …
- luckyoldsun: Michael, From the way it's being promoted, with Yearwood announcing a new label and a new album and with The Tennessean …
- Linda Salmons: Whoaa!!!! Makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. Beautiful tone and nuance - unmistakably Auldridge.