Friday Five: Breezes
The recent summer month has been a particularly brutal one across the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast part of theUnited States. Heat records have been broken across several states and summer-related storms knocked out power – and air conditioning — to millions of people. What folks need more than anything is a cool breeze. Here comes Engine 145 to the rescue.
If a breeze doesn’t beat the heat, certainly an icy, alcoholic treat from the king of margaritas will help do the trick.
“Rainbow colored flowers kissed with early morning sun/The aster and the dahlia and wild geraniums/Drops of morning dew still linger on the iris leaves” Can’t you just feel the coolness on your skin?
3. David Allan Coe – “Call Me the Breeze”
The only thing scarier than the weather lately could be David Allan Coe’s appearance these days. This J.J. Cale tune has been most famously covered by Lynyrd Skynyrd, but Bobby Bare and Johnny Cash have recorded their own covers, too.
Perhaps if the heat doesn’t ever go away, a trip to Shanghai, China is in order. It’ll still be hot, but the fun of playing tourist will make up for that.
1. Jim Reeves – “Sea Breeze”
With this tune, you need to pick your poison. You can catch a little “Sea Breeze”and cool off, but suffer from heartache… or don’t listen and pass out from heat stroke. Choose your own adventure.
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …
- Tom: ...michelob ultra seems to be a brew from hell.
- luckyoldsun: Maybe he was just changing out of his hunting clothes. At least he didn't do the full Randy...um Monty.