Friday Five: Boom Boom
Luke Bryan recently taught us, in deep and insightful lyrics, that when a girl makes your “speakers go boom boom,” it means that she makes your heart go a-flutter. It must be love. Evidently, if your significant other has had no effect on your personal stereo system, it could possibly mean that you’re doing it all wrong. That “boom boom” reference shouldn’t be mixed up with Johnny Cash’s famous “boom chicka boom” sound made famous by Luther Perkins. Nor should it be confused with the love of Pebbles Flintstone’s life, Bamm-Bamm. Those nuances can be easily missed.
On today’s Friday Five, we celebrate mini lyrical explosions throughout music history.
5. Billy “Crash” Craddock – “Boom Boom Baby”
With virtually no airplay back when this song came out in 1959 here in the United States, Craddock arrived in Australia on a tour with the Everly Brothers completely oblivious that this was a Number One hit Down Under.
4. Highway 101 – “Bing Bang Boom”
This little number was a top 15 hit back in 1991.
3. Bellamy Brothers – “Kids of the Baby Boom”
This 1987 single was the last of the Bellamy Brothers ten hits to reach Number One. Written 25 years ago, it’s still pretty darned relevant today. “As our lives become a capsule they send to the stars/And our children look at us like we came from Mars/As the farms disappear and the sky turns black/We’re a nation full of takers, never giving back/We never stop to think what we consume/Kids of the baby boom.”
2. Leon McCauliffe and His Western Swing Band – “Sh-Boom (Life Could Be a Dream)”
As Bob Wills said hundreds of times, “Take it away,Leon…”
1. John Lee Hooker – “Boom Boom”
Even though The Oak Ridge Boys did a cover on their recent album, The Boys Are Back, there’s nothing quite like the original.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.