Friday Five: Bones
There are 206 bones in an adult human body, and probably an equal amount of songs about bones in my music collection. Here are five favorites, best enjoyed with a tall glass of milk.
A Top Ten hit for Axton in 1974, this song is mighty depressing: “Work your fingers to the bone and what do you get? Boney fingers.” Good thing it’s catchy. not that that’s much comfort when your car won’t run, the fire won’t start, and your distal phalanges are wrecked. But maybe things will get a little better. Just kidding. They probably won’t.
“Bones, we’ve been a long way together, and not once have you let me down/Why, Bones, you’ve probably walked me over the place we’ll sleep in the ground.” I guess that’s comforting, but it’s not like Bones had any choice in the matter.
This single from Storms of Life was Travis’ second No. 1. It’s a good reminder that broken relationships are a lot like the film trope of the Native American burial ground: disturb them at your own risk.
Being born with a jealous bone sounds better than being born with a vestigial tail, but not by much. At least doctors can remove the latter.
“This old bag of bones ain’t really me/There’s a lot more standing here than what you see.” That’s something to think about when your joints pop and creak and old injuries act up when it rains.
- Leeann: Very nice!
- luckyoldsun: Paul, Good info. It's pretty disgraceful that Billboard editors can't even get musical history remotely right regarding even their own publication. The …
- Juli Thanki: Yep, I'll be there. Looking forward to it!
- Leeann: Wow! The Look Again to the Wind: Johnny Cash’s Bitter Tears Revisited album is so good!
- Jack Williams: I was also there on Saturday, Juli. I really liked Angeleena Presley's set, too. Marty and the boys …
- Jack Williams: I heard the guy who made the documentary talks funny. That's great news. I'll definitely buy a copy …
- Dave D.: Jim Lauderdale's The Other Sessions is my favorite; just a great country records, IMO.
- Paul W Dernnis: It seems that whoever wrote that Billboard article had some bum information. As of 1993, 13 country artists had 50 …
- Leeann: My favorite Jim Lauderdale albums are his collaborations with Ralph Stanley.
- Jeremy Dylan: Correcting my typo, that should be http://jimlauderdalemovie.com