Friday Five: Bob Dylan Covers
Bob Dylan was born Robert Allen Zimmerman on this date in 1941. Narrowing down the thousands of Dylan covers that have been recorded over the past fifty years down to just five songs for this week’s post was no easy task. In fact, this easily could have been a Friday 500–and your favorite probably still wouldn’t be on the list–so we compiled a few more favorites in the Spotify playlist below. What’s your favorite Dylan cover?
5. Neko Case – “Buckets of Rain”
Case often covers this song from Blood on the Tracks during her shows. Or, at least the shows I’ve been to. Perhaps it’s sacrilege, but I like her vocal on this song better than Dylan’s.
4. Garth Brooks – “Make You Feel My Love”
Brooks’ version of the song topped the country charts and earned him a Grammy nomination.
3. Rosanne Cash – “Girl From the North Country”
Johnny Cash sang this song with Dylan on the Nashville Skyline album; 40 years later, his daughter recorded it for The List.
2. Tim O’Brien – “Forever Young”
O’Brien’s Red on Blonde is a damn fine record. This song is one of the highlights.
1. The Band – “I Shall Be Released”
- Barry Mazor: I'll have to see if Dr. Green's ever read 3 Lives; it's a good book.
- Juli Thanki: Rose is a rose is a rose is a yellow rose of Texas. I smell a terrible concept album!
- Barry Mazor: Pigeons on the grass, alas.. Come-a kai-yai yippy, yippy ay.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Barry, thanks for the great sentimental look at Winchester. I will admit that he is an artist that was largely …
- Arlene: Thanks for this article, Barry. It's not often that an artist brings another performer to tears during a guitar pull. …
- Leeann: At any rate, I'll still look forward to his next album, because I'm a fan of his music.
- Leeann: Yes, if he had said that, I'd be with him, but e lumped all of country music, including the Grand …
- mrsandy: My understanding is Emmylou's concert was cancelled was because her 92-y.o. mother passed away.
- Erik North: I would have to say that, even though I agree that JTE does generalize about country music excessively, I also …
- Leeann: I think he generalized way too much, too black and white. He reminded me too much of Ryan Adams, who …