Friday Five: Bob Dylan Covers
Bob Dylan was born Robert Allen Zimmerman on this date in 1941. Narrowing down the thousands of Dylan covers that have been recorded over the past fifty years down to just five songs for this week’s post was no easy task. In fact, this easily could have been a Friday 500–and your favorite probably still wouldn’t be on the list–so we compiled a few more favorites in the Spotify playlist below. What’s your favorite Dylan cover?
5. Neko Case – “Buckets of Rain”
Case often covers this song from Blood on the Tracks during her shows. Or, at least the shows I’ve been to. Perhaps it’s sacrilege, but I like her vocal on this song better than Dylan’s.
4. Garth Brooks – “Make You Feel My Love”
Brooks’ version of the song topped the country charts and earned him a Grammy nomination.
3. Rosanne Cash – “Girl From the North Country”
Johnny Cash sang this song with Dylan on the Nashville Skyline album; 40 years later, his daughter recorded it for The List.
2. Tim O’Brien – “Forever Young”
O’Brien’s Red on Blonde is a damn fine record. This song is one of the highlights.
1. The Band – “I Shall Be Released”
- Six String Richie: It's great to hear that Sundy Best has a new album coming out. I really encourage anybody that reads …
- Louie: "Brotherly Love," IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith's …
- Erik North: A big loss for not only the Nashville songwriting community, but for songwriting communities everywhere, in my opinion, that Paul …
- luckyoldsun: If they're only allowed one modern inductee per year in the H-o-F, then there's a backlog developing. You have Skaggs, …
- Leeann Ward: I'm not an ETC fan, but I do love "Brotherly Love" with Keith Whitley.
- luckyoldsun: It's got to be "What I'd Say." (I think that's the title.) There was some question, I believe, over whether …
- Paul W Dennis: probably "Nobody Falls Like A Fool" or "Silent Treatment"
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Where in heck's name is "That Was A Close One"?!?!? It's the guy's best song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrR_2rXiKA0
- Cody: Love seeing ETC getting some credit! My five, in no particular order at first; Crowd Around the Corner Home So Fine I Have …
- Juli Thanki: I think it's technically a Keith Whitley song, but I've always been fond of his duet with ETC, "Brotherly Love."