Friday Five: Beans
Kids joke about the “musical fruit,” adults debate whether or not the tiny legumes belong in chili, and, occasionally, country artists salute the bean in song. Here are five of them.
5. Eddie Cochran – “Jelly Bean”
If you call a gal “Jelly Bean,” don’t tell her it’s because she’s “sweet and swell and round.” That last part is liable to get you punched in the nose.
4. Little David Wilkins – “Butterbeans”
Forget collard greens and turnip sandwiches: all the ironically-named “Little” David Wilkins wants is a bowl of beans. And some ham. Maybe a biscuit. Also, cornbread.
One of the best steel guitarists ever pays tribute to the best bean in this swingin’ instrumental.
2. Carolina Chocolate Drops – “Cornbread and Butterbeans”
Beans and cornbread are almost as delicious as the Carolina Chocolate Drops’ brand of old-time-influenced music.
These beans are technically seeds, and they “jump” because the moth larvae inside them twitch in order to move away from heat and light. But maybe they’d bop around to a Buck Owens instrumental, too.
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...
- Jim Z: Dirty River Boys are from El Paso, Texas.