Friday Five: Beans
Kids joke about the “musical fruit,” adults debate whether or not the tiny legumes belong in chili, and, occasionally, country artists salute the bean in song. Here are five of them.
5. Eddie Cochran – “Jelly Bean”
If you call a gal “Jelly Bean,” don’t tell her it’s because she’s “sweet and swell and round.” That last part is liable to get you punched in the nose.
4. Little David Wilkins – “Butterbeans”
Forget collard greens and turnip sandwiches: all the ironically-named “Little” David Wilkins wants is a bowl of beans. And some ham. Maybe a biscuit. Also, cornbread.
One of the best steel guitarists ever pays tribute to the best bean in this swingin’ instrumental.
2. Carolina Chocolate Drops – “Cornbread and Butterbeans”
Beans and cornbread are almost as delicious as the Carolina Chocolate Drops’ brand of old-time-influenced music.
These beans are technically seeds, and they “jump” because the moth larvae inside them twitch in order to move away from heat and light. But maybe they’d bop around to a Buck Owens instrumental, too.
- Leeann Ward: Yes, we know that it's technically a Keith Whitley song, as Juli noted above.
- Six String Richie: It's great to hear that Sundy Best has a new album coming out. I really encourage anybody that reads …
- Louie: "Brotherly Love," IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith's …
- Erik North: A big loss for not only the Nashville songwriting community, but for songwriting communities everywhere, in my opinion, that Paul …
- luckyoldsun: If they're only allowed one modern inductee per year in the H-o-F, then there's a backlog developing. You have Skaggs, …
- Leeann Ward: I'm not an ETC fan, but I do love "Brotherly Love" with Keith Whitley.
- luckyoldsun: It's got to be "What I'd Say." (I think that's the title.) There was some question, I believe, over whether …
- Paul W Dennis: probably "Nobody Falls Like A Fool" or "Silent Treatment"
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Where in heck's name is "That Was A Close One"?!?!? It's the guy's best song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrR_2rXiKA0
- Cody: Love seeing ETC getting some credit! My five, in no particular order at first; Crowd Around the Corner Home So Fine I Have …