Friday Five: Beans
Kids joke about the “musical fruit,” adults debate whether or not the tiny legumes belong in chili, and, occasionally, country artists salute the bean in song. Here are five of them.
5. Eddie Cochran – “Jelly Bean”
If you call a gal “Jelly Bean,” don’t tell her it’s because she’s “sweet and swell and round.” That last part is liable to get you punched in the nose.
4. Little David Wilkins – “Butterbeans”
Forget collard greens and turnip sandwiches: all the ironically-named “Little” David Wilkins wants is a bowl of beans. And some ham. Maybe a biscuit. Also, cornbread.
One of the best steel guitarists ever pays tribute to the best bean in this swingin’ instrumental.
2. Carolina Chocolate Drops – “Cornbread and Butterbeans”
Beans and cornbread are almost as delicious as the Carolina Chocolate Drops’ brand of old-time-influenced music.
These beans are technically seeds, and they “jump” because the moth larvae inside them twitch in order to move away from heat and light. But maybe they’d bop around to a Buck Owens instrumental, too.
- luckyoldsun: That Bobby Bare/Bill Parsons story has been often told, but I still don't quite understand how two then-nobodies could go …
- Leeann: The Jack Clement album is quite good!
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …
- paul w dennis: The Kershaw album is really noteworthy for its song selections. Other than "I'll Share My World With You", it omits …
- Leeann: The Sammy Kershaw tribute to George Jones is pretty good on first listen. Of course, Sammy's no George, but their …