Friday Five: Bah Humbug
“Every Who down in Whoville liked Christmas a lot,
But the Grinch, who lived just north of Whoville, did not.
The Grinch hated Christmas — the whole Christmas season.
Oh, please don’t ask why, no one quite knows the reason.
It could be, perhaps, that his shoes were too tight.
It could be that his head wasn’t screwed on just right.
But I think that the best reason of all
May have been that his heart was two sizes too small.
-Boris Karloff in the The Grinch That Stole Christmas
If you’re the type of individual that thinks of Black Friday as the first dark day of the holiday season, this double-wide edition of The 9513’s Friday Five is just for you. Perhaps your heart is just two sizes too small. Maybe you’re not into sending holiday cards off to people you barely know, planting a dead conifer in the middle of your living room, or the entire concept of giving Snuggies as gifts. You may even have secretly hoped that Ralphie had shot his eye out with his Red Ryder Carbine-Action 200-Shot Range Model Air Rifle with a compass in the stock.
Or perhaps you’re just a big country music fan–a genre where all too often, bad things happen to good people. Bad things happen to bad people too, but after all, it’s Christmas. We’ll give them the benefit of the doubt that they’re not on the naughty list.
There were so many delicious, not-so-merry Christmas songs, we had to double the size of this week’s Friday Five to a Terrible Ten. Enjoy.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.