Friday Five: Bah Humbug
“Every Who down in Whoville liked Christmas a lot,
But the Grinch, who lived just north of Whoville, did not.
The Grinch hated Christmas — the whole Christmas season.
Oh, please don’t ask why, no one quite knows the reason.
It could be, perhaps, that his shoes were too tight.
It could be that his head wasn’t screwed on just right.
But I think that the best reason of all
May have been that his heart was two sizes too small.
-Boris Karloff in the The Grinch That Stole Christmas
If you’re the type of individual that thinks of Black Friday as the first dark day of the holiday season, this double-wide edition of The 9513’s Friday Five is just for you. Perhaps your heart is just two sizes too small. Maybe you’re not into sending holiday cards off to people you barely know, planting a dead conifer in the middle of your living room, or the entire concept of giving Snuggies as gifts. You may even have secretly hoped that Ralphie had shot his eye out with his Red Ryder Carbine-Action 200-Shot Range Model Air Rifle with a compass in the stock.
Or perhaps you’re just a big country music fan–a genre where all too often, bad things happen to good people. Bad things happen to bad people too, but after all, it’s Christmas. We’ll give them the benefit of the doubt that they’re not on the naughty list.
There were so many delicious, not-so-merry Christmas songs, we had to double the size of this week’s Friday Five to a Terrible Ten. Enjoy.
- Leeann Ward: Interesting! I just got an email from Amozon saying that they cancelled my preorder of Jamey Johnson's Christmas album due …
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …