Friday Five: Bah Humbug
“Every Who down in Whoville liked Christmas a lot,
But the Grinch, who lived just north of Whoville, did not.
The Grinch hated Christmas — the whole Christmas season.
Oh, please don’t ask why, no one quite knows the reason.
It could be, perhaps, that his shoes were too tight.
It could be that his head wasn’t screwed on just right.
But I think that the best reason of all
May have been that his heart was two sizes too small.
-Boris Karloff in the The Grinch That Stole Christmas
If you’re the type of individual that thinks of Black Friday as the first dark day of the holiday season, this double-wide edition of The 9513’s Friday Five is just for you. Perhaps your heart is just two sizes too small. Maybe you’re not into sending holiday cards off to people you barely know, planting a dead conifer in the middle of your living room, or the entire concept of giving Snuggies as gifts. You may even have secretly hoped that Ralphie had shot his eye out with his Red Ryder Carbine-Action 200-Shot Range Model Air Rifle with a compass in the stock.
Or perhaps you’re just a big country music fan–a genre where all too often, bad things happen to good people. Bad things happen to bad people too, but after all, it’s Christmas. We’ll give them the benefit of the doubt that they’re not on the naughty list.
There were so many delicious, not-so-merry Christmas songs, we had to double the size of this week’s Friday Five to a Terrible Ten. Enjoy.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: The inferiority complex of the CMA never ceases to amaze me.
- Barry Mazor: Thanks for explaining that to me, Luckyol.
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I think you're taking it a bit too seriously. CMT has to keep coming up with new lists to make. …
- Barry Mazor: Thi is a world in which the "top 40 most influential country artists of all time" do not include, for …
- luckyoldsun: I just noticed that Garth and King George are still to come. So unless I'm missing something else, the remaining seven …
- Leeann Ward: I hate it when people pronounce the days of the week with a "dy" ending instead of "day." It's like …
- luckyoldsun: Looking at that bizarre CMT Artists' list with Johnny Cash coming in at #8, it raises the question--Who are the …
- Leeann Ward: I'd have to agree with LOS here. The song was fair game to be released. It's no surprised that it …
- luckyoldsun: "'Brotherly Love,' IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith’s …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, we know that it's technically a Keith Whitley song, as Juli noted above.