Friday Five: Bah Humbug, Volume 2
Just in case you don’t like your Christmas season as warm and fuzzy as those slippers you received last year from Aunt Frieda and Uncle Milton, we have a solution. Two years ago, back in our The 9513 days, we did a double-wide edition of our Friday Five that included all the songs that really would give you a “Blue Christmas.” Logically enough, that list included that Ernest Tubb track. So here we go again, celebrating a list of songs that might just give Santa the blues. What are your favorite depressing Christmas songs?
5. Robert Earl Keen – “Merry Christmas from the Family”
Keen celebrates everything tragically redneck in this terrific song about family dysfunction.
4. Toby Keith – “Santa, I’m Right Here”
Nothing kills that holiday spirit like homelessness.
3. Taylor Swift — “Christmases When You Were Mine”
Even when you’re making eleventy gajillion dollars a year, lost love can prove a holiday downer.
2. Asleep at the Wheel – “Christmas in Jail”
Ray Benson and friends celebrated a little too much and got to spend the holy night in deluxe stainless steel accommodations.
1. Raul Malo – “A Not So Merry Christmas”
Malo’s girl broke his heart and he longs for Christmas seasons of years past with her by his side.
- Paul W Dennis: This album is next on my must-acquire list. I remember listening to Mac on the WWVA Big Jamboree in the …
- Paul W Dennis: I don't usually agree with Luckyoldsun but he's right - "Girl In A Country Song" reeks. On the other …
- andythedrifter: "It Sure Can Get Cold In Des Moines"
- Donald: LOS, I need to second your mention of Ballad of Forty Dollars.
- Paul W Dennis: Best wishes for Jim Ed Brown - there's very few left from his generation of country singers John Morthland's article on …
- Paul W Dennis: That looks like Harold Morrison playing the dobro behind Jeannie C Riley on "Harper Valley PTA"
- luckyoldsun: Got to go with "The Ballad of Forty Dollars." Funny, if you saw the title and started listening to that song …
- Randy Prewitt: I would have to say my favorite Tom T.Hall song is "The Day Clayton Delaney Died.He has so many great …
- KathyP: "Faster Horses." Which reminds me I need to add it to my digital library.
- Leeann Ward: "Me and Jesus" and "Harper Valley PTA" are my favorites, I think. But I agree with Paul that it's not …