Friday Five: Bah Humbug, Volume 2
Just in case you don’t like your Christmas season as warm and fuzzy as those slippers you received last year from Aunt Frieda and Uncle Milton, we have a solution. Two years ago, back in our The 9513 days, we did a double-wide edition of our Friday Five that included all the songs that really would give you a “Blue Christmas.” Logically enough, that list included that Ernest Tubb track. So here we go again, celebrating a list of songs that might just give Santa the blues. What are your favorite depressing Christmas songs?
5. Robert Earl Keen – “Merry Christmas from the Family”
Keen celebrates everything tragically redneck in this terrific song about family dysfunction.
4. Toby Keith – “Santa, I’m Right Here”
Nothing kills that holiday spirit like homelessness.
3. Taylor Swift — “Christmases When You Were Mine”
Even when you’re making eleventy gajillion dollars a year, lost love can prove a holiday downer.
2. Asleep at the Wheel – “Christmas in Jail”
Ray Benson and friends celebrated a little too much and got to spend the holy night in deluxe stainless steel accommodations.
1. Raul Malo – “A Not So Merry Christmas”
Malo’s girl broke his heart and he longs for Christmas seasons of years past with her by his side.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.