Friday Five: Bah Humbug, Volume 2
Just in case you don’t like your Christmas season as warm and fuzzy as those slippers you received last year from Aunt Frieda and Uncle Milton, we have a solution. Two years ago, back in our The 9513 days, we did a double-wide edition of our Friday Five that included all the songs that really would give you a “Blue Christmas.” Logically enough, that list included that Ernest Tubb track. So here we go again, celebrating a list of songs that might just give Santa the blues. What are your favorite depressing Christmas songs?
5. Robert Earl Keen – “Merry Christmas from the Family”
Keen celebrates everything tragically redneck in this terrific song about family dysfunction.
4. Toby Keith – “Santa, I’m Right Here”
Nothing kills that holiday spirit like homelessness.
3. Taylor Swift — “Christmases When You Were Mine”
Even when you’re making eleventy gajillion dollars a year, lost love can prove a holiday downer.
2. Asleep at the Wheel – “Christmas in Jail”
Ray Benson and friends celebrated a little too much and got to spend the holy night in deluxe stainless steel accommodations.
1. Raul Malo – “A Not So Merry Christmas”
Malo’s girl broke his heart and he longs for Christmas seasons of years past with her by his side.
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...