Friday Five: Autumn
As we go into October, the mornings become cool and crisp around the country. The fall leaves turn to beautiful golds, yellows, oranges and reds. We start to see frost on the grass and the days begin to shorten. The air just seems fresher. We get to break out the cozy sweaters and comforting jackets from the back of the closet and the fragrance of mulling spices can instantly bring you to a time and place from your past. Clearly, it’s autumn.
The season of pumpkins and leaf-raking has several country songs written about it. This Friday Five, let’s celebrate five songs about autumn.
5. Bobby Goldsboro — “Autumn of My Life”
Goldsboro had a string of a couple dozen charted country singles that were successful targeted pop crossover smashes in the 60’s and 70’s. This little dedication to the fall season was a Top 20 hit on both the country and pop charts simultaneously. Fun note: Goldsboro wrote the score to Burt Reynolds’ Evening Shade television show.
4. Tony Rice — “California Autumn”
Back when legendary guitarist Tony Rice was a singer (before his dysphonia diagnosis), he released this title track off a 1975 album that included young upstarts Jerry Douglas and Ricky Skaggs.
3. Rick Trevino — “Autumn Rose”
Co-written with Raul Malo, Trevino has a girl named after the season: “If ever a love could last forever/If only two lives were meant to be lived as one/You may say that I am but a dreamer/Well, you don’t know my Autumn Rose.”
2. Lorrie Morgan — “Autumn’s Not That Cold”
If anyone knows messy break-ups, it’s Lorrie Morgan. And in this little tune, she brushes off any hint at disappointment at her lyrical break-up: “I thought that I’d stop living without you here to hold/But I’m just not that lonesome and autumn’s not that cold.”
1. Chet Atkins — “Autumn Leaves”
As if you ever needed proof that Chet was a musical genius…
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …
- Donald: I'm guessing that is meant to read 're-release' Detroit to Wheeling, as the double album originally appeared on Pinecastle in …
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY
- Arlene: I suspect you'll also be including an episode of L.A. Law....