Friday Five: Atomic Bombs
Dozens of classic country, bluegrass, and rock ‘n’ roll songs reference atomic bombs, including “Jesus Hits Like the Atom Bomb,” “There’s a Power Greater Than Atomic,” Hawkshaw Hawkins’ “When They Found the Atomic Power,” Chris Cerf’s “Fallout Filly,” and, of course, Wanda Jackson’s “Fujiyama Mama,” to name just a few. Here are five more.
5. Red Foley – “Atomic Power”
The Buchanan Brothers recorded this Fred Kirby-penned song first, but I’m partial to Foley’s version.
4. Hank King with Bud Williams & His Smilin’ Buddies – “Your Atom Bomb Heart”
Hank, Bud, and their Smilin’ Buddies can wipe the grin off any face with these harsh lyrics: “You possess all the words of old Satan himself/The men that you ruined are like sand on a shelf/They fall in your love trap that’s so cold and dark/From your devil-filled kisses and your atom bomb heart.”
3. Johnny Paycheck – “The Cave”
A cave protects a young man from the widespread destruction of an atomic bomb. The song ends before he breaks his glasses, forever preventing him from reading his beloved books.
2. Sons of the Pioneers – “Old Man Atom”
“When Einstein’s scared, brother, you better be scared.” That seems reasonable.
1. Louvin Brothers – “Great Atomic Power”
Lots of folks have covered this classic, including Raul Malo, Elizabeth Cook (backed by The Grascals), and Uncle Tupelo, but Charlie and Ira’s version is still the best.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …
- Tom: ...michelob ultra seems to be a brew from hell.