Friday Five: Atomic Bombs
Dozens of classic country, bluegrass, and rock ‘n’ roll songs reference atomic bombs, including “Jesus Hits Like the Atom Bomb,” “There’s a Power Greater Than Atomic,” Hawkshaw Hawkins’ “When They Found the Atomic Power,” Chris Cerf’s “Fallout Filly,” and, of course, Wanda Jackson’s “Fujiyama Mama,” to name just a few. Here are five more.
5. Red Foley – “Atomic Power”
The Buchanan Brothers recorded this Fred Kirby-penned song first, but I’m partial to Foley’s version.
4. Hank King with Bud Williams & His Smilin’ Buddies – “Your Atom Bomb Heart”
Hank, Bud, and their Smilin’ Buddies can wipe the grin off any face with these harsh lyrics: “You possess all the words of old Satan himself/The men that you ruined are like sand on a shelf/They fall in your love trap that’s so cold and dark/From your devil-filled kisses and your atom bomb heart.”
3. Johnny Paycheck – “The Cave”
A cave protects a young man from the widespread destruction of an atomic bomb. The song ends before he breaks his glasses, forever preventing him from reading his beloved books.
2. Sons of the Pioneers – “Old Man Atom”
“When Einstein’s scared, brother, you better be scared.” That seems reasonable.
1. Louvin Brothers – “Great Atomic Power”
Lots of folks have covered this classic, including Raul Malo, Elizabeth Cook (backed by The Grascals), and Uncle Tupelo, but Charlie and Ira’s version is still the best.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: The inferiority complex of the CMA never ceases to amaze me.
- Barry Mazor: Thanks for explaining that to me, Luckyol.
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I think you're taking it a bit too seriously. CMT has to keep coming up with new lists to make. …
- Barry Mazor: Thi is a world in which the "top 40 most influential country artists of all time" do not include, for …
- luckyoldsun: I just noticed that Garth and King George are still to come. So unless I'm missing something else, the remaining seven …
- Leeann Ward: I hate it when people pronounce the days of the week with a "dy" ending instead of "day." It's like …
- luckyoldsun: Looking at that bizarre CMT Artists' list with Johnny Cash coming in at #8, it raises the question--Who are the …
- Leeann Ward: I'd have to agree with LOS here. The song was fair game to be released. It's no surprised that it …
- luckyoldsun: "'Brotherly Love,' IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith’s …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, we know that it's technically a Keith Whitley song, as Juli noted above.