Friday Five: Atomic Bombs
Dozens of classic country, bluegrass, and rock ‘n’ roll songs reference atomic bombs, including “Jesus Hits Like the Atom Bomb,” “There’s a Power Greater Than Atomic,” Hawkshaw Hawkins’ “When They Found the Atomic Power,” Chris Cerf’s “Fallout Filly,” and, of course, Wanda Jackson’s “Fujiyama Mama,” to name just a few. Here are five more.
5. Red Foley – “Atomic Power”
The Buchanan Brothers recorded this Fred Kirby-penned song first, but I’m partial to Foley’s version.
4. Hank King with Bud Williams & His Smilin’ Buddies – “Your Atom Bomb Heart”
Hank, Bud, and their Smilin’ Buddies can wipe the grin off any face with these harsh lyrics: “You possess all the words of old Satan himself/The men that you ruined are like sand on a shelf/They fall in your love trap that’s so cold and dark/From your devil-filled kisses and your atom bomb heart.”
3. Johnny Paycheck – “The Cave”
A cave protects a young man from the widespread destruction of an atomic bomb. The song ends before he breaks his glasses, forever preventing him from reading his beloved books.
2. Sons of the Pioneers – “Old Man Atom”
“When Einstein’s scared, brother, you better be scared.” That seems reasonable.
1. Louvin Brothers – “Great Atomic Power”
Lots of folks have covered this classic, including Raul Malo, Elizabeth Cook (backed by The Grascals), and Uncle Tupelo, but Charlie and Ira’s version is still the best.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.