Friday Five: Arson
Don’t try this at home. You wouldn’t do well in prison.
Cash paints a bleak, eerie picture with this song from Black Cadillac: “The hills are burnin’, fields turn to steel / The big house is haunted with what we don’t feel / All the streets are empty, no one ever comes around / So you know they won’t make a sound / Burn down this town.”
This country weeper is from Mathus’ Blue Light EP, which was released last month. Hopefully someone rescues the booze before Mathus channels his inner firebug.
Hey, Paul, I know you’re upset about your woman, who keeps coming home “with Aqua Velva on her breath,” but that’s no reason to take it out on the pink flamingos.
As far as story-songs go, you can’t get much better than this one, in which an abused woman burns down her home. Unlike Martina McBride and her stunning recording of the song, Peters isn’t a belter, but her version is no less powerful.
Old Mrs. Bailey is the meanest matron at Evening Shade, a home for juvenile delinquents, beating a girl half to death for wetting the bed. But “understanding isn’t learned from punishment and anger / An iron has no gentle touch and love ain’t learned from hate,” so the kids get their kerosene-soaked revenge when Mrs. Bailey is taking her afternoon nap.
- Tom: ...good idea, a george jones museum in nashville. is there a building tall enough for a voice and a career …
- mrsandy: Also worth noting: Priscilla Mitchell was Jerry Reed's widow.
- Leeann Ward: Wow! My heart goes out to Allison Moorer. She's had so many terrible things happen in her life. It's too …
- Leeann Ward: I must have this audio book!
- Juli Thanki: Ha! Same thing happened at Sturgill Simpson's show I went to last month, only he was singing "I Never Go …
- Dave D.: On the topic of Lee Ann and dark songs, the funniest moment at this year's Americana Fest was during her …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: I love Lori McKenna. Coming from Massachusetts, she's our local girl. I've been fortunate to see her in concert a …
- bll: I suss her re-recording her hits for 'Gwendolen records' means she can stop MCA from releasing her hits against her.
- Greg Judy: Cooler festivals and marching bands at the football games!
- kevin ilinger: Fall colors bluegrass and apple cider