Friday Five: Arson
Don’t try this at home. You wouldn’t do well in prison.
Cash paints a bleak, eerie picture with this song from Black Cadillac: “The hills are burnin’, fields turn to steel / The big house is haunted with what we don’t feel / All the streets are empty, no one ever comes around / So you know they won’t make a sound / Burn down this town.”
This country weeper is from Mathus’ Blue Light EP, which was released last month. Hopefully someone rescues the booze before Mathus channels his inner firebug.
Hey, Paul, I know you’re upset about your woman, who keeps coming home “with Aqua Velva on her breath,” but that’s no reason to take it out on the pink flamingos.
As far as story-songs go, you can’t get much better than this one, in which an abused woman burns down her home. Unlike Martina McBride and her stunning recording of the song, Peters isn’t a belter, but her version is no less powerful.
Old Mrs. Bailey is the meanest matron at Evening Shade, a home for juvenile delinquents, beating a girl half to death for wetting the bed. But “understanding isn’t learned from punishment and anger / An iron has no gentle touch and love ain’t learned from hate,” so the kids get their kerosene-soaked revenge when Mrs. Bailey is taking her afternoon nap.
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY
- Arlene: I suspect you'll also be including an episode of L.A. Law....
- luckyoldsun: The Johnny Cash episode was the one Columbo case where you really felt "the b--- had it coming."
- A.B.: Janice - I saw that too and sent him a Tweet about it.
- Janice Brooks: Peter Cooper needs an edit. Stringbean did not die in 1964.
- Leeann: I can't contribute to this list, but I did think of Steve Earle and The Wire. It's not my …
- Jeremy Dylan: That was a great episode of Monk. The "Georgia On My Mind" scene is just heartbreaking.