Friday Five: Arkansas
Over the years, Friday Fives have covered songs about Florida, Texas and California. Today, we turn our attention to the great state of Arkansas. Before we count down five songs about the state, however, enjoy some of these hilarious laws passed at some point Arkansas’ history. (taken from dumblaws.com):
- Alligators may not be kept in bathtubs.
- Honking one’s car horn at a sandwich shop after 9 p.m. is against the law.
- In Little Rock — Dogs may not bark after 6 p.m.
- In Little Rock — Flirtation between men and women on the streets of Little Rock may result in a 30-day jail term.
- It is unlawful to walk one’s cow down Main Street after 1 p.m. on Sunday.
Over 14 years have passed since this beautiful and haunting musical lament was released. Several albums and many singles under the bridge, it’s still one of her best.
The first song Bubba Strait wrote for his father is partly based upon outlaw Dave Rudabaugh, also known as “Dirty Dave.”
3. Bill Monroe – “Arkansas Traveler”
The first known sheet music publication of this great little fiddle tune dates back to 1847. The Father of Bluegrass is one of a long line of musicians who’ve done a take on this classic.
The girl from the green hills of Tennessee has taken Scott’s protagonist’s heart and he’s ditched the girl fromArkansas. The winner of this situation is the Mississippi. That deep, muddy river gained a gold ring.
Campbell sings about the good old Natural State, full of lakes, rivers, and dirt roads leading to ramshackle houses.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: The inferiority complex of the CMA never ceases to amaze me.
- Barry Mazor: Thanks for explaining that to me, Luckyol.
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I think you're taking it a bit too seriously. CMT has to keep coming up with new lists to make. …
- Barry Mazor: Thi is a world in which the "top 40 most influential country artists of all time" do not include, for …
- luckyoldsun: I just noticed that Garth and King George are still to come. So unless I'm missing something else, the remaining seven …
- Leeann Ward: I hate it when people pronounce the days of the week with a "dy" ending instead of "day." It's like …
- luckyoldsun: Looking at that bizarre CMT Artists' list with Johnny Cash coming in at #8, it raises the question--Who are the …
- Leeann Ward: I'd have to agree with LOS here. The song was fair game to be released. It's no surprised that it …
- luckyoldsun: "'Brotherly Love,' IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith’s …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, we know that it's technically a Keith Whitley song, as Juli noted above.