Friday Five: Arkansas
Over the years, Friday Fives have covered songs about Florida, Texas and California. Today, we turn our attention to the great state of Arkansas. Before we count down five songs about the state, however, enjoy some of these hilarious laws passed at some point Arkansas’ history. (taken from dumblaws.com):
- Alligators may not be kept in bathtubs.
- Honking one’s car horn at a sandwich shop after 9 p.m. is against the law.
- In Little Rock — Dogs may not bark after 6 p.m.
- In Little Rock — Flirtation between men and women on the streets of Little Rock may result in a 30-day jail term.
- It is unlawful to walk one’s cow down Main Street after 1 p.m. on Sunday.
Over 14 years have passed since this beautiful and haunting musical lament was released. Several albums and many singles under the bridge, it’s still one of her best.
The first song Bubba Strait wrote for his father is partly based upon outlaw Dave Rudabaugh, also known as “Dirty Dave.”
3. Bill Monroe – “Arkansas Traveler”
The first known sheet music publication of this great little fiddle tune dates back to 1847. The Father of Bluegrass is one of a long line of musicians who’ve done a take on this classic.
The girl from the green hills of Tennessee has taken Scott’s protagonist’s heart and he’s ditched the girl fromArkansas. The winner of this situation is the Mississippi. That deep, muddy river gained a gold ring.
Campbell sings about the good old Natural State, full of lakes, rivers, and dirt roads leading to ramshackle houses.
- CraigR.: I beg everyone to watch the music( if you can call it that)video for Florida Georgia Line with Luke Bryan. …
- Roger: That Don Williams cover of Sing Me Back Home sounds great - have to check out that new CD.
- Gene Cross, Jr.: A very pretty song. I sure look forward to being able to buy the complete CD tomorrow. I am a …
- Kanenrake Stacey: I always wondered why RCA gave up on her so fast, I'm glad to know that it was probably because …
- bob: Great interview of an impressive young lady. I'll have to check out that Blues album when it comes out.
- Jack Pliskin: Oh it's good to hear some real country music being made in this day and age. Don Williams is simply a …
- darol anger: This band is not one you're likely to hear out on the fester or club circuit. It's a rare and …
- Livewire: So that's the interview Best listen to the album and decide for yourself. It was slated in UK's Country Music People Magazine A …
- Stormy: A little more glam rock than New Wave, but here is Kenneth Brian covering David Bowie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJhfD77QOLY
- Jack Williams: Forgot this one: Richard Thompson - Tempted (Squeeze)