Friday Five: Arkansas
Over the years, Friday Fives have covered songs about Florida, Texas and California. Today, we turn our attention to the great state of Arkansas. Before we count down five songs about the state, however, enjoy some of these hilarious laws passed at some point Arkansas’ history. (taken from dumblaws.com):
- Alligators may not be kept in bathtubs.
- Honking one’s car horn at a sandwich shop after 9 p.m. is against the law.
- In Little Rock — Dogs may not bark after 6 p.m.
- In Little Rock — Flirtation between men and women on the streets of Little Rock may result in a 30-day jail term.
- It is unlawful to walk one’s cow down Main Street after 1 p.m. on Sunday.
Over 14 years have passed since this beautiful and haunting musical lament was released. Several albums and many singles under the bridge, it’s still one of her best.
The first song Bubba Strait wrote for his father is partly based upon outlaw Dave Rudabaugh, also known as “Dirty Dave.”
3. Bill Monroe – “Arkansas Traveler”
The first known sheet music publication of this great little fiddle tune dates back to 1847. The Father of Bluegrass is one of a long line of musicians who’ve done a take on this classic.
The girl from the green hills of Tennessee has taken Scott’s protagonist’s heart and he’s ditched the girl fromArkansas. The winner of this situation is the Mississippi. That deep, muddy river gained a gold ring.
Campbell sings about the good old Natural State, full of lakes, rivers, and dirt roads leading to ramshackle houses.
- bob: Enjoyed the Himes article on classic baseball songs. Thanks. Himes also mentioned some books. To those he noted I would …
- luckyoldsun: Well it probably wasn't Larry Gatlin.
- A.B.: Anyone else think Marty Stuart might be part of Lakehouse Holdings that bought the Johnny Cash/Barry Gibb property?
- David Cantwell: Thanks, Andrew. It almost seems inevitable that the greatest singers--Sinatra and George Jones, say--just don't sing so well at the …
- Andrew: Very well put. I don't remember the last time an album gave me chills right from the opening note quite …
- TX Music Jim: All valid choices. I will forever hold out the hope that Gram Parsons, Jerry Jeff Walker and Gary Stewart will …
- Leeann Ward: Oops...the link: http://www.engine145.com/summer-lovin-ronnie-milsap-looks-back-new-album/
- Leeann Ward: Yes, great choices for inductees! In Milsap's case, I guess if you say it to Juli Thanki, it will happen!:): Do …
- Paul W Dennis: Delighted to see "The Voice With A Heart" being inducted - he is my all-time favorite bluegrass vocalist. Hank Cochran …
- luckyoldsun: I don't know what exactly makes one a national treasure, but I'd give that appellation to Mac Wiseman before the …