Friday Five: Arkansas
Over the years, Friday Fives have covered songs about Florida, Texas and California. Today, we turn our attention to the great state of Arkansas. Before we count down five songs about the state, however, enjoy some of these hilarious laws passed at some point Arkansas’ history. (taken from dumblaws.com):
- Alligators may not be kept in bathtubs.
- Honking one’s car horn at a sandwich shop after 9 p.m. is against the law.
- In Little Rock — Dogs may not bark after 6 p.m.
- In Little Rock — Flirtation between men and women on the streets of Little Rock may result in a 30-day jail term.
- It is unlawful to walk one’s cow down Main Street after 1 p.m. on Sunday.
Over 14 years have passed since this beautiful and haunting musical lament was released. Several albums and many singles under the bridge, it’s still one of her best.
The first song Bubba Strait wrote for his father is partly based upon outlaw Dave Rudabaugh, also known as “Dirty Dave.”
3. Bill Monroe – “Arkansas Traveler”
The first known sheet music publication of this great little fiddle tune dates back to 1847. The Father of Bluegrass is one of a long line of musicians who’ve done a take on this classic.
The girl from the green hills of Tennessee has taken Scott’s protagonist’s heart and he’s ditched the girl fromArkansas. The winner of this situation is the Mississippi. That deep, muddy river gained a gold ring.
Campbell sings about the good old Natural State, full of lakes, rivers, and dirt roads leading to ramshackle houses.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …
- Tom: ...michelob ultra seems to be a brew from hell.