Friday Five: Arkansas
Over the years, Friday Fives have covered songs about Florida, Texas and California. Today, we turn our attention to the great state of Arkansas. Before we count down five songs about the state, however, enjoy some of these hilarious laws passed at some point Arkansas’ history. (taken from dumblaws.com):
- Alligators may not be kept in bathtubs.
- Honking one’s car horn at a sandwich shop after 9 p.m. is against the law.
- In Little Rock — Dogs may not bark after 6 p.m.
- In Little Rock — Flirtation between men and women on the streets of Little Rock may result in a 30-day jail term.
- It is unlawful to walk one’s cow down Main Street after 1 p.m. on Sunday.
Over 14 years have passed since this beautiful and haunting musical lament was released. Several albums and many singles under the bridge, it’s still one of her best.
The first song Bubba Strait wrote for his father is partly based upon outlaw Dave Rudabaugh, also known as “Dirty Dave.”
3. Bill Monroe – “Arkansas Traveler”
The first known sheet music publication of this great little fiddle tune dates back to 1847. The Father of Bluegrass is one of a long line of musicians who’ve done a take on this classic.
The girl from the green hills of Tennessee has taken Scott’s protagonist’s heart and he’s ditched the girl fromArkansas. The winner of this situation is the Mississippi. That deep, muddy river gained a gold ring.
Campbell sings about the good old Natural State, full of lakes, rivers, and dirt roads leading to ramshackle houses.
- luckyoldsun: And sometimes she breaks into "I Fought the Law and the Law Won."
- bob: @Leeann - Don Schlitz's wife Stacy is also a good singer. At some of his shows, she'll sing a song …
- Leeann: It's hardly on topic, but Don Schlitz's wife is an actual lawyer.
- Erik North: I like that list of country songs that Laura Cantrell drew up for people who are suspicious of the genre. …
- Leeann: Thank you for linking to my discussion. To clarify, they're not so much my favorite Dad songs, but rather, songs …
- Jack: "I got turned off a not so new guy’s music after he started recording songs like “Get Drunk and Be …
- A.B.: I think I understand why the eating disorder facility wants to be located there besides it being the former Cash …
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …