Friday Fifteen: Songs About Tequila
Tequila’s been around since at least the 1600s and has been memorialized in song by everyone from Western Swing’s Cliff Bruner to The Champs to Jimmy Buffett to Joe Nichols. Here are 15 other tunes celebrating the beverage.
15. Lorrie Morgan & Sammy Kershaw – “He Drinks Tequila”
This Shawn Camp/Michele McCord song from Morgan and Kershaw’s largely forgettable 2001 collaboration, I Finally Found Someone, tells how a hard-partying trailer park couple – and their yappy Chihuahua – celebrate the weekends.
14. Pauline Reese – “Yellow Wine”
Why isn’t Reese better known? Let’s work on that, folks, while we watch this random pair line dance to her music.
13. Chip Taylor & Carrie Rodriguez – “Sweet Tequila Blues”
Taylor and Rodriguez were an irresistible duo; this cut, from Let’s Leave This Town, is a whole lot of fun.
12. Buck Owens – “Tequila Sunrise”
Owens covered a handful of Eagles songs back in his Hee Haw days; Omnivore Recordings released his versions on CD a couple years ago
11. Pam Tillis – “Tequila Mockingbird”
Tequila Mockingbird is about the best stage name a cantina singer could possibly hope for. Unfortunately, it came with a whole bunch of heartache.
10. Dale Watson – “Thanks to Tequila”
Watson’s recorded several songs over the years; you can’t go wrong with any of ‘em. This one’s from his most recent album, El Rancho Azul.
9. Paul Thorn – “Tequila is Good for the Heart”
Because cirrhosis is easier to deal with than heartbreak.
8. Nanci Griffith – “Tequila After Midnight”
Tequila is a magical beverage that drives away loneliness and makes strangers look familiar. The only trouble comes after the sunrise.
7. Steve Goodman – “How Much Tequila (Did I Drink Last Night)”
Tequila was probably the best coping method for dealing with Goodman’s (who wrote this song with John Prine) beloved Chicago Cubs.
6. Sir Douglas Quintet – “Sheila Tequila”
5. Matraca Berg – “You and Tequila”
Kenny Chesney and Grace Potter made a hit out of Berg and Deana Carter’s co-write (which can also be found on Carter’s I’m Just a Girl and Berg’s stellar The Dreaming Fields), but this version is my favorite.
4. Jim Reeves – “Drinking Tequila”
The country crooner took this fun single to No. 9 in 1955. It’s not one of his biggest hits, but it’s a good one.
3. Big Sandy & His Fly-Rite Boys – “Tequila Calling”
Hearing tequila call your name is probably a good sign that it’s time to call it a night.
2. Shelly West – “Jose Cuervo”
Good luck getting this song out of your head. It’s probably been wedged in there since this single topped the charts in ’83.
1. John Anderson – “Straight Tequila Night”
Released in late 1991, “Straight Tequila Night” was Anderson’s first No. 1 hit in nearly a decade.
- Denise Vernon: Full moon with smell of leaves burning.
- Lisa Phillips: Love the Radio Ramblers! My favorite thing about fall is everything pumpkin.....coffee, cookies, muffins, pie.....etc!
- Sabrina Parnell: Def the cooler temps, football, great food , holidays on the way ,and of course more good country music releases.
- Debbie W: the changing colors of the leaves
- joyce King: I love FALL, the day your album Sept.25th is our wedding anniversary 46th!!! We have a fall Bean Supper, …
- Jim Sibley: I like everything about fall! MLB playoffs, football, end of hot, sticky nights, etc, etc. :-)
- Ron Mullins: Cool nights, smell of autumn and colors, and nice feeling in your heart.
- mike mills: Cool night and hunting
- Paul W Dennis: MLB playoffs and the weather here in Florida finally cooling off a little. Also we get the Palatka Bluegrass Festival …
- Tony Branscomb: Peaceful Quiet Days In The Woods Watching Wildlife Playing.