Flood Benefit Raises $1.7 Million; Darrell Scott, Joe Diffie, & Randy Houser Schedule New Albums
- Tom Roland recapped Sunday’s Music City Keep On Playin’ — A Benefit For Flood Relief event. Brad Paisley and his wife, Kimberly Williams-Paisley kicked the night off with a $100,000 donation and went on to help raise $1.7 million at last count.
- Jack Ingram has been on a mission to write a song a week and over the next few weeks American Songwriter will share some of those songs along with Ingram’s notes. First up in the series is a song called “America.”
- Country California Fake News: Maverick Blogger Says Nice Things About Music Normal People Like
“As a blogger, the usual practice is to qualify praise for mainstream acts with the greatest of care, so that a certain amount of disdain always comes through,” said C.M. McKay, a contributor to popular country blog The 90210, where the complimentary words were offered. “In fact, [Managing Editor] Tim Malice puts us through a whole course on crafting effective backhanded compliments before he ever lets us write for the site.”
- Farce the Music: Country Doppelgangers IV
- Joe Diffie‘s new album, Homecoming: The Bluegrass Album, is due August 24.
- On May 25, Darrell Scott will release a two-disc project titled A Crooked Road, for which he penned all 20 songs and played every instrument.
- Randy Houser‘s sophomore album They Call Me Cadillac will be released September 14.
- Wynonna gets that a lot.
- A year before he died, Don Walser filed a lawsuit against his former record label for fraud and breach of contract. Day one of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court trial took place early last week with Walser’s four grown children serving as plaintiffs, but things didn’t get interesting until early Friday morning, the day the non-jury trial was expected to conclude. Austin Music Source’s Michael Corcoran reported that after reading coverage of the trial online, a woman named Temple Ray was “hopping mad.” It turns out she had been a bookkeeper for the record label and quit because she was angered artists weren’t being paid royalties. On top of that, she revealed an affair between the label’s president and one of the investors whose role in the company had previously been described as more passive.
- Country California: Quotable Country – 05/17/10 Edition
- Patty Loveless on Mountain Stage.
Exclusive debut on The 9513: Listen here to Ray Price perform “Me and Jimmy Rodgers” from the upcoming Shel Silverstein tribute album. All tracks can be previewed over here.
- Then head over to Roughstock and listen to John Prine perform “This Guitar Is For Sale” from the same album.
- The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum will close next Sunday to prepare for that evening’s Medallion Ceremony, which includes the formal induction of Ferlin Husky and Billy Sherrill into the Hall.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.