Ferlin Husky In Critical Condition; Midriffs Are In; Brad Paisley Pokes Serious
- Eighty-three year-old country singer Ferlin Husky is in the hospital and in critical condition with an accelerated heart rate and possible pneumonia.
- Caitlin & Will, the Carter Twins, Jypsi and Matt Stillwell will open for Alan Jackson at Aquapalooza, an all-day boating event in Alabama on July 25.
- Country California: A hobo appeared on stage at the recent George Strait tribute and no one was arrested.
- Alison Bonaguro on Charlie Robison:
He may have divorced the Chicks’ Emily Robison, but it sounds like he’s married to that whole fiddle and steel and mandolin brand of music. (That said, there’s not one single banjo lick on the entire album.) Although he may consider himself too hip to be pigeon-holed as country, his new album, Beautiful Day, is countrier than most Texas country artists ever strive for.
- Join the campaign to get Bill Monroe‘s mug on a commemorative stamp. (via No Depression)
- Although Son Volt‘s American Central Dust is seldom up-lifting, The Austin Chronicle‘s Jim Caliguiri says the album reaffirms the band’s pinnacle atop today’s American roots rockers and Twangville’s Shawn Underwood calls “it a solid effort, with some flashy nods to 60’s and 70’s country music.”
- Sign up for Darrell Scott‘s mailing list for a chance to win an autographed Baby Taylor Guitar. (via No Depression)
- Chet Flippo drew parallels between Hank Williams, Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson and the ultimate reason for their deaths.
- Random Tweet: In the studio cutting a new song that I wrote with George Ducas. I really dig it. Ken is making me sound pretty. Technology rocks! (@KevinFowler)
- Of the seven videos evaluated by the CMT New Music Video Evaluation Team this week, the three featuring women’s midriffs/beer guts made it into the channel’s rotation.
- Brad Paisley brings the serious on his new album, American Saturday Night.
- Randy Houser commented on his recent video for the song “Boots On,” his next single and his upcoming tour with Jamey Johnson in a Q&A with That Nashville Sound.
It was my record’s label idea. I honestly can say I can’t take credit for that wonderful idea. I kind of fought the label a little bit because Drake’s video had already been seen by everybody on the internet. And to take that video and put it into the video wasn’t my idea, only because it had nothing to do with the lyrics of the song. I wrote the song and it just didn’t match up with the song. But Drake, who was an awesome little guy, did great. And although I initially wanted something that matched up better with the song, luckily there’s some people a heck of a lot smarter than I am around at the label.
- Download the free mp3 “The Day I Fall” from One More Girl, a sister duo from Canada.
- mrsandy: Also worth noting: Priscilla Mitchell was Jerry Reed's widow.
- Leeann Ward: Wow! My heart goes out to Allison Moorer. She's had so many terrible things happen in her life. It's too …
- Leeann Ward: I must have this audio book!
- Juli Thanki: Ha! Same thing happened at Sturgill Simpson's show I went to last month, only he was singing "I Never Go …
- Dave D.: On the topic of Lee Ann and dark songs, the funniest moment at this year's Americana Fest was during her …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: I love Lori McKenna. Coming from Massachusetts, she's our local girl. I've been fortunate to see her in concert a …
- bll: I suss her re-recording her hits for 'Gwendolen records' means she can stop MCA from releasing her hits against her.
- Greg Judy: Cooler festivals and marching bands at the football games!
- kevin ilinger: Fall colors bluegrass and apple cider
- luckyoldsun: If I was a "long-time fan" of Trisha, I'd probably spring for the CD.