Sugarland’s New Video; Faith Hill Schedules Free Concert; Americana Lifetime Achievement Recipients
- Faith Hill is scheduled to perform a free concert in New Orleans on Aug. 24 to mark the fifth anniversary of Hurricane Katrina.
- Nashville Lifestyles released its 2010 Hot List and perched at the very top is Laura Bell Bundy, while Faith Hill, recognized for her beauty as well as co-hosting the Nashville Rising flood benefit concert, came in at 13. It’s not all about looks though, which leaves room for Colt Ford, whose sound and concept is “fresh and fun.” Little Big Town will release their new album on on Aug. 24 and appeared towards the end. (via CMT Blog)
- The next honoree in the Country Music Hall of Fame’s Poets and Prophets: Legendary Country Songwriters series is songwriter and highly-regarded session guitarist Red Lane.
- The Americana Music Association announced the recipients of this year’s Americana Lifetime Achievement Award: Wanda Jackson, John Mellencamp, Luke Lewis, Greg Leisz, and Brian Ahern.
- James Stroud, owner of Stroudavarious Records, announced the formation of the new imprint Emrose Records yesterday. The first artist signed is singer-songwriter Margaret Durante (MySpace).
Aaron Watson is surprised that one of his most popular songs, “Barbed Wire Halo,” which he recorded for two different records, was never released as a single.
- If today’s country artists feel the need to thank someone for the benefits of having a song crossover to the pop charts, Chet Flippo says it’s musician, record label executive, producer, conductor, singer and A&R man Mitch Miller, who recently passed away. He’s also believed to be the creator of karaoke.
Miller hated rock ‘n’ roll and passed on opportunities to sign both Elvis Presley and Buddy Holly to his record label. But he loved country music and produced such hits as Marty Robbins’ “A White Sport Coat (and a Pink Carnation).”
But the main thing he did for country music was to introduce the crossover concept. He mated country songs with pop singers and presented them to the mainstream pop audience. His tool of choice was the Hank Williams song catalog, after future Atlantic records producer Jerry Wexler, then a writer at Billboard, recommended it to him.
- On a recent visit to his local watering hole, My Kind of Country’s J.R. kept tab of the various songs he played on the jukebox.
- Lee Ann Womack is set to return as host of the 4th annual ACM Honors ceremony.
- When Lady Antebellum heads to the UK next week they’ll be greeted by a sold-out audience.
- In his latest article, No Depression’s Grant Alden laments the glossification of a lot of bluegrass music and commends Junior Sisk for his latest record, Heartaches and Dreams.
First, the songwriting throughout is exemplary (and Sisk co-wrote only one track of the twelve). These are country songs, the kinds of things Ricky Skaggs and his fellow New Traditionalists took to the charts in the 1980s, and which Nashville has largely eschewed since […]
And while we’re on the subject of Sisk, I’ll take the opportunity to mention “The Lowest Valley,” one of my favorite songs of the year thus far. The recorded version knocks me out every time I hear it.
- Kristy Lee Cook inked a deal with Broken Bow Records.
- Parade.com published a sneak peek and some exclusive extras from an interview with Kenny Chesney that will appear in this Sunday’s print edition. A wide range of topics are covered, but most of it relates to his music or football.
On his four-month-long marriage to actress Renee Zellweger, which was annulled in a miasma of media scandal in 2005.
“There ain’t nothing you can do about it. Just hang on for the ride. Now I look back on it as just another way of getting knocked down on the football field.”
Watch the new video for Sugarland‘s current single, “Stuck Like Glue.”
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.