Exclusive Album Stream: Irene Kelley — Pennsylvania Coal
Born and raised in Pennsylvania coal country, Irene Kelley is a gem of a singer-songwriter. On February 11, this coal miner’s granddaughter will salute her home state with Pennsylvania Coal her first new collection of original songs in more than a decade.
Now based in Nashville, Kelley’s work has been recorded over the years by artists like Alan Jackson, Loretta Lynn, and Trisha Yearwood. Yearwood herself appears on Pennsylvania Coal, contributing backing vocals to “Better with Time;” other guest artists appearing on the album include Carl Jackson, Stuart Duncan, and Dale Ann Bradley.
It’s still quite early in the year, but Pennsylvania Coal seems bound to be one of the best bluegrass records of 2014. Stream it below.
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!
- Donald: LOS, you made me giggle. Thank you.
- luckyoldsun: An in related news, an E.P.A. inspector is preparing to slap the cuffs on Nancy Jones tomorrow.
- luckyoldsun: Looks like old Lynn is not done saying "I beg your pardon..."
- luckyoldsun: And I hear that Pretty Boy Floyd wasn't exactly the gentleman eulogized by Woody Guthrie (and that he didn't set …
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Jeremy, I wish you the very best of luck with the release. Your moderator pick is a fine one.
- Jeremy Dylan: That FTM playlist is a grand way to spend an afternoon. SHAMELESS PLUG Btw, any Engine145 readers in Nashville on Monday night, …
- David Cantwell: Amen, Brother Barry.