Exclusive Album Stream: Brennen Leigh & Noel McKay — Before the World Was Made
From the cheerful dysfunction of “Breaking Up and Making Up Again,” to the pleading heartbreak of “Please Reconsider,” Brennen Leigh and Noel McKay cover the entire spectrum of love on their new collaboration, Before the World Was Made.
The record, which was produced by Gurf Morlix, is a stellar collection of original George-and-Melba-esque country duets, the majority of which were penned by the Austin-based duo. “Be My Ball and Chain” recalls the playfulness of Ernest Tubb and Loretta Lynn’s “Sweet Thang,” and “Great Big Oldsmobile, a pedal-steel-laced ballad that was written by McKay alone, sweetly depicts lifelong love as the duo sings, “I’ll be deafer than a post and grayer than a ghost / But you’ll still steam my glasses up when I’m 92.”
As solo artists, Leigh and McKay are damn good; together, their music is irresistible. Stream Before the World Was Made before its September 24 release date.
- mrsandy: Also worth noting: Priscilla Mitchell was Jerry Reed's widow.
- Leeann Ward: Wow! My heart goes out to Allison Moorer. She's had so many terrible things happen in her life. It's too …
- Leeann Ward: I must have this audio book!
- Juli Thanki: Ha! Same thing happened at Sturgill Simpson's show I went to last month, only he was singing "I Never Go …
- Dave D.: On the topic of Lee Ann and dark songs, the funniest moment at this year's Americana Fest was during her …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: I love Lori McKenna. Coming from Massachusetts, she's our local girl. I've been fortunate to see her in concert a …
- bll: I suss her re-recording her hits for 'Gwendolen records' means she can stop MCA from releasing her hits against her.
- Greg Judy: Cooler festivals and marching bands at the football games!
- kevin ilinger: Fall colors bluegrass and apple cider
- luckyoldsun: If I was a "long-time fan" of Trisha, I'd probably spring for the CD.