Escalating Gas Prices Put Halt To Concert-Goers
- Galleywinter forum members discuss the effect that the escalating gas prices have had on the number of concerts that they’re able to attend. Most are saying that road trips to see favorite artists are almost out of the question.
- Check out the fancy new Roughstock website. They’re currently featuring an exclusive interview with Ashton Shepherd.
If you could follow the career path of one country artist who would it be and why?
I would say Alan Jackson. He started his career out with a bang and has held strong for so many years and is such a great writer.
- Fans of the Bakersfield Sound celebrated and honored the musicians who’ve kept the music alive on Sunday for the Second Annual Bakersfield Country Music Awards. Not everyone is optimistic about the future of the Bakersfield Sound, though.
- Edward Morris says Sunday night at LP Field was plagued by excruciatingly slow set changes, but even that couldn’t keep Dwight Yoakam from reminding the locals of how exciting pure country music can be.
- When Sara Evans marries fiancé Jay Barker they’ll have a total of seven kids, but that’s not keeping her from talking about having more with the former Alabama quarterback.
- You’ll find no wasted words in Ryan Bingham‘s Q&A with The Houston Chronicle’s Joey Guerra.
- Alison Bonaguro says the sincerest form of flattery for an artist has to be when another artist performs an entire song about them, for example, Taylor Swift‘s “Tim McGraw” or Tim McGraw‘s own “Kristofferson.” A simple shout-out isn’t too bad, either. So what are some of your favorite name-checking songs?
- Attendance to the CMA Music Festival was up 9.4% over last year, a statistic that Brad at Music City TV facetiously attributes to Jessica Simpson‘s presence.
- Larry Karnowski on Hayes Carll‘s Trouble In Mind: “a kick-ass, whiskey-fueled attempt to hang on to that part of our youth with too much alchohol, late nights, bad lovers, and shenanigans. Sadly, though, he knows he’s passing that time, and he’s growing up — but not without a drunken fight or two along the way.”
- Country Universe asserts that Linda Ronstadt revolutionized what a female artist could be in country music, which earns her a spot at No. 21 on the list of 100 Greatest Women.
- If you live in Nashville, Eamon McLoughlin says it’s essential that you make your way to Robert’s Western World on Lower Broadway on the first Sunday of every month. That’s when steel-guitarist Don Helms mesmerizes those in attendance. Helms played for Hank Williams and laid down the intros to “Your Cheatin’ Heart” and “Cold, Cold Heart.”
- Sarah Rodman has nothing but praise for Emmylou Harris‘ All I Intended To Be.
- Kenny Chesney‘s seven-hour event at San Francisco’s AT&T Park was staged like a mini country festival, according to Joel Selvin, who says “Chesney is new country’s leading man and he has found a previously untapped constituency for country music of young suburbans who, like Chesney, probably listened to rock music when they were in high school, too.”
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …
- Tom: ...michelob ultra seems to be a brew from hell.