Escalating Gas Prices Put Halt To Concert-Goers
- Galleywinter forum members discuss the effect that the escalating gas prices have had on the number of concerts that they’re able to attend. Most are saying that road trips to see favorite artists are almost out of the question.
- Check out the fancy new Roughstock website. They’re currently featuring an exclusive interview with Ashton Shepherd.
If you could follow the career path of one country artist who would it be and why?
I would say Alan Jackson. He started his career out with a bang and has held strong for so many years and is such a great writer.
- Fans of the Bakersfield Sound celebrated and honored the musicians who’ve kept the music alive on Sunday for the Second Annual Bakersfield Country Music Awards. Not everyone is optimistic about the future of the Bakersfield Sound, though.
- Edward Morris says Sunday night at LP Field was plagued by excruciatingly slow set changes, but even that couldn’t keep Dwight Yoakam from reminding the locals of how exciting pure country music can be.
- When Sara Evans marries fiancé Jay Barker they’ll have a total of seven kids, but that’s not keeping her from talking about having more with the former Alabama quarterback.
- You’ll find no wasted words in Ryan Bingham‘s Q&A with The Houston Chronicle’s Joey Guerra.
- Alison Bonaguro says the sincerest form of flattery for an artist has to be when another artist performs an entire song about them, for example, Taylor Swift‘s “Tim McGraw” or Tim McGraw‘s own “Kristofferson.” A simple shout-out isn’t too bad, either. So what are some of your favorite name-checking songs?
- Attendance to the CMA Music Festival was up 9.4% over last year, a statistic that Brad at Music City TV facetiously attributes to Jessica Simpson‘s presence.
- Larry Karnowski on Hayes Carll‘s Trouble In Mind: “a kick-ass, whiskey-fueled attempt to hang on to that part of our youth with too much alchohol, late nights, bad lovers, and shenanigans. Sadly, though, he knows he’s passing that time, and he’s growing up — but not without a drunken fight or two along the way.”
- Country Universe asserts that Linda Ronstadt revolutionized what a female artist could be in country music, which earns her a spot at No. 21 on the list of 100 Greatest Women.
- If you live in Nashville, Eamon McLoughlin says it’s essential that you make your way to Robert’s Western World on Lower Broadway on the first Sunday of every month. That’s when steel-guitarist Don Helms mesmerizes those in attendance. Helms played for Hank Williams and laid down the intros to “Your Cheatin’ Heart” and “Cold, Cold Heart.”
- Sarah Rodman has nothing but praise for Emmylou Harris‘ All I Intended To Be.
- Kenny Chesney‘s seven-hour event at San Francisco’s AT&T Park was staged like a mini country festival, according to Joel Selvin, who says “Chesney is new country’s leading man and he has found a previously untapped constituency for country music of young suburbans who, like Chesney, probably listened to rock music when they were in high school, too.”
- Leeann: I am very excited to hear collaborations between Ashley Monroe and Charlie Worsham!! It totally makes sense for themto collaborate. I …
- Juli Thanki: You know it!
- bob: The only one of these that I've seen before is the Columbo episode. As far as the future post on …
- Arlene: I'm very happy that Compass Records will be releasing a tribute disc in which artists cover songs of Jean Ritchie …
- Bobby P.: Thanks for the link to my one hit wonder article!
- Leeann: I'm glad you reviewed this album. I think your rating is what I'd give it too. It's a good album, …
- luckyoldsun: That Bobby Bare/Bill Parsons story has been often told, but I still don't quite understand how two then-nobodies could go …
- Leeann: The Jack Clement album is quite good!
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …