Eric Church Sounds Off in Rolling Stone; Free Music From Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires; Album Releases
- In an interview with Rolling Stone, Eric Church slammed reality show singers and judges as well as the rock bands that played Lollapalooza with him.
- Miranda Lambert fired back on Twitter: Thanks Eric Church for saying I’m not a real artist. Or @kelly_clarkson, @carrieunderwood & @KeithUrban. Your welcome for the tour in 2010.
- And then Church released a statement: “The comment I made to Rolling Stone was part of a larger commentary on these types of reality television shows and the perception they create, not the artists involved with the shows themselves…The shows make it appear that artists can shortcut their way to success…I have a lot of respect for what artists like Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson, and my friend Miranda Lambert have gone on to accomplish. This piece was never intended to tear down any individual, and I apologize to anybody I offended in trying to shed light on this issue. I am grateful for all of the artists and fans that have supported me along my journey and certainly did not mean for my comments to undermine their talent and achievements.”
- Yodeler Kenny Roberts passed away at the age of 85.
- Gaylord Entertainment and water-heater manufacturer A.O. Smith, which has a plant on the Cumberland River, sued the Army Corps of Engineers and National Weather Service over the Nashville floods. Here’s an excerpt of a joint statement from the two companies: “It is a simple fact that we incurred millions of dollars in damages because the Corps released so much water into the Cumberland River that it rose above the 100-year flood plain…We have a fiduciary responsibility to our shareholders to seek remuneration for the losses we sustained as a result of this negligence, and also to ensure that both parties make significant process improvements to prevent a man-made disaster from occurring in any future flood event.”
- Zac Brown Band’s Southern Ground Music and Food Festival will return to Charleston, South Carolina, in late October. General ticket sales open on Saturday.
- Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires are offering a free download of a March concert in Tuscaloosa.
- Another free download: Blue Ridge Outdoor Magazine’s May Trail Mix, which features cuts from Paul Thorn, Chelle Rose, The Brothers Comatose, and others.
- The Country Music Hall of Fame & Museum should own the Opry, argues Saving Country Music’s Triggerman.
- Trampled By Turtles covered Arcade Fire for The A.V. Club.
- The Grascals are atop Bluegrass Today’s Monthly Airplay Chart.
- Prime Cuts return to Country California.
- Ted Lehmann recaps Merlefest over at his site.
- Kenny Rogers and Sam Bush have been added to the Bonnaroo lineup of performers.
- The Roys are hosting seven episodes of Bluegrass Mountains, which will air on New Zealand, UK, and Australian TV.
- This week’s album releases:
And a book: Gregg Allman — My Cross to Bear
- jenny patrick: my favorite part of autumn is the smell of a bonfire to roast weiners and marshmallows on .
- jeanie kinman: My favorite part of Autumn is all the festivals with bands playing Bluegrass music..Come on down to Ky Joe Mullins …
- Keith Saterwhite: My favorite part of Autumn are the beautiful colors on the trees, here in the foothills of the Blueridge Mountains.
- phillip Martinez: Thanks Joe, for always the great music.
- Martin DeSimio: Fresh apple cider.
- Jessica Whited: My favorite part of autumn is the chance to have bonfires with my friends and family.
- Sandy Kapphahn: Love the fall colors!
- Erik North: Caitlin Rose has become one of my favorite female singers of any genre in this century; and I think her …
- Sandy Chatfield: My favorite part of autumn.....football!
- Teresa McGraw: My favorite part of Autumn is pulling out the sweaters.