Emily West Featuring Keith Urban – “Blue Sky”
Songwriters: Gary Burr and Emily West.
Thank goodness that there are men out there who never appreciate their women until they’re gone, or else we’d be in a severe country song shortage. Yes, country music may continue to change and evolve, but as long as men screw up, singers and songwriters in Nashville will stay gainfully employed.
When these sorry SOBs come back to their women begging for a second chance, the popular solution is to have them get blown off with sass and spunk (and occasional property damage). “Blue Sky,” the new single from Emily West, is a more somber affair, with the hurt on both sides too fresh to laugh away with a cute turn of phrase.
West doesn’t hide her own sadness while confronting the man who wants back into her life. “Wipe off those sad eyes,” she sings, “‘Cause I’ve got some tears of my own.” While the guy in question doesn’t sound like that big of a prize anyway (“Come on show me your temper/Be the man I remember” she sings at one point), West sounds more filled with resignation then relief as she pushes him away.
West turns in a gorgeous performance on “Blue Sky,” hitting notes few of her contemporaries can reach. She does it without throwing in any unnecessary or showy histrionics, either. If vocals actually mattered when determining which songs would become hits, West would have more than one charting single to her name.
As for the “ft. Keith Urban” part of the song, Urban is doing what used to be called “singing background vocals.” He does sing some nice harmonies with West on the chorus, but it’s hardly deserving of being called out as if it’s a proper duet. Still, if it takes the inclusion of Urban’s name to get some program directors to check the song out, more power to the marketing trickery.
- Deremy Jylan: I heard that Jim Lauderdale documentary is some super-duper great movie stuff. Makes Scorsese's THE LAST WALTZ look like Wiseau's …
- Barry Mazor: I'll have to see if Dr. Green's ever read 3 Lives; it's a good book.
- Juli Thanki: Rose is a rose is a rose is a yellow rose of Texas. I smell a terrible concept album!
- Barry Mazor: Pigeons on the grass, alas.. Come-a kai-yai yippy, yippy ay.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Barry, thanks for the great sentimental look at Winchester. I will admit that he is an artist that was largely …
- Arlene: Thanks for this article, Barry. It's not often that an artist brings another performer to tears during a guitar pull. …
- Leeann: At any rate, I'll still look forward to his next album, because I'm a fan of his music.
- Leeann: Yes, if he had said that, I'd be with him, but e lumped all of country music, including the Grand …
- mrsandy: My understanding is Emmylou's concert was cancelled was because her 92-y.o. mother passed away.
- Erik North: I would have to say that, even though I agree that JTE does generalize about country music excessively, I also …