Elizabeth Cook Joins Cast of Conway Twitty Musical
- The folks behind the musical production Conway Twitty: The Man, The Music, The Legend, The Musical announced that Elizabeth Cook (MySpace) has been added to the cast to play the role of Joni Twitty, one of Conway’s daughters. (via press release)
- The New York Times‘ Jon Caramanica calls John Rich‘s “Shuttin Detroit Down” the first great song of the bailout era.
- The Gobblers Knob Awesome Song Alert: “Ellis County” from Buddy & Julie Miller.
- Only eight months elapsed between the release of Justin Townes Earle‘s The Good Life and the recent Midnight at the Movies, and he told CMT’s Chris Parton that his next record is already written, but he doesn’t want people to expect such a prolific output for his entire career.
- Fun fact: Today is the 60th anniversary of the 45 rpm, the first of which was Eddy Arnold’s Texarkana Baby, recorded in Nashville and released by RCA. (via email)
New releases for the week of March 31, 2009 include:
As always, let me know if I missed any.
- Steve Wariner is putting the finishing touches on a Chet Atkins tribute album that he hopes to release this summer.
- Wade Bowen walked away with awards for best vocal performance on an album and best album at the inaugural LoneStarMusic Awards on Sunday. Among the other winners were Brady Black for best musician, Randy Rogers for best songwriter and Jason Boland for writing the best song, “Comal County Blue.” Watch a video of Randy Rogers and Brady Black perform “Holding On To Letting Go,” a song Rogers wrote with Bruce Robison, from the awards.
- Hickory Wind’s Hal Bogerd describes The Man Of Somebody’s Dreams: A Tribute To The Songs Of Chris Gaffney as equal parts wake and celebration.
- The CMT New Video Evaluation Team weighed in on four new videos: Trace Adkins‘ “Marry For Money,” Kellie Pickler‘s “Best Days of Your Life,” Dean Brody‘s “Brothers” and Williams Riley‘s “I’m Still Me.”
- Jamie Dailey and Darrin Vincent shared stories behind a couple of the songs from their new album, Brothers From Different Mothers, with The Bluegrass Blog.
- Canadian country trio Doc Walker (MySpace) scored a Juno Award for Country Recording of the Year for their album, Beautiful Life.
- SHeDAISY added three new songs to their MySpace from their forthcoming album, A Story to Tell. Look for “Mr. McLennen,” “Never Had You” and “Unsatisfied.” (via That Nashville Sound)
- Between Toby Keith‘s good-ol’-boy flag-wavers and Rascal Flatts‘ power ballads, the Cleveland Scene‘s Michael Gallucci says Nashville has a reputation for turning out crap. He notes that not all country music sucks though, and lists five Nashville artists who don’t suck: Gary Allan, Miranda Lambert, Brad Paisley, Sugarland and Taylor Swift. (via The Boot)
- Don McLeese says the new album from The Flatlanders, Hills and Valleys, is a return to a truly collaborative project, unlike its predecessor, Wheels of Fortune, which was more along the lines of a song swap.
- Listen to a new song from Rascal Flatt‘s new album Unstoppable each day this week on The Boot.
- The Doc Marshalls (MySpace), who are currently based out of New York and blend Bakersfield shuffles and honky-tonk with Louisiana grooves, are preparing for a Texas tour and lead man Nick Beaudoing distinguishes between the Texas and New York country music scenes in the most recent edition of Galleywinter’s “Off the Cuff.”
- The Houston Press‘ John Nova Lomax shared a humorous story about the demise of Townes Van Zandt‘s rooster named Moe. (via Galleywinter tweet)
- Ken Morton, Jr.: The inferiority complex of the CMA never ceases to amaze me.
- Barry Mazor: Thanks for explaining that to me, Luckyol.
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I think you're taking it a bit too seriously. CMT has to keep coming up with new lists to make. …
- Barry Mazor: Thi is a world in which the "top 40 most influential country artists of all time" do not include, for …
- luckyoldsun: I just noticed that Garth and King George are still to come. So unless I'm missing something else, the remaining seven …
- Leeann Ward: I hate it when people pronounce the days of the week with a "dy" ending instead of "day." It's like …
- luckyoldsun: Looking at that bizarre CMT Artists' list with Johnny Cash coming in at #8, it raises the question--Who are the …
- Leeann Ward: I'd have to agree with LOS here. The song was fair game to be released. It's no surprised that it …
- luckyoldsun: "'Brotherly Love,' IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith’s …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, we know that it's technically a Keith Whitley song, as Juli noted above.