Eli Yound Band Joins Republic Nashville; Stream Court Yard Hounds; Joey+Rory Announce ‘Album #2′
- Eli Young Band joined the Republic Nashville roster.
- Miranda Lambert‘s Third Annual “Cause for Paws” benefit will be held May 15 in Tyler, Texas.
- Tour News: Trace Adkins and Toby Keith will hit the road for their American Ride tour on June 19; Miranda Lambert is taking her first official headlining tour, Roadside Bars And Pink Guitars, to the fans on March 18; Carrie Underwood added more dates to her Play On Tour; and Reckless Kelly will join up with Cross Canadian Ragweed in Nashville on March 3 to kick off their Ragged and Reckless tour.
- Dailey & Vincent debuted at the top of the Billboard bluegrass chart for their Cracker-Barrel exclusive album Dailey & Vincent Sing the Statler Brothers.
- Tom T. Hall on writing with his wife Dixie:
Well, we write this way: I’m a fast writer. I write real fast. And she’ll come up with an idea for a song like “Hero in Harlan”, and we’ll sketch it out and get it places where I think it ought to go. But she was a newspaper editor so she’ll take the song and stay up all night and fix it. So I’ll get up and it rhymes and it meters. I have to watch her and make sure it gets to the end though. I accuse her of writing these old bluegrass songs where a lot of people get killed. If I go to bed with a guy walking quietly down a path, when I wake up the next morning, he’ll be hanging in a tree. But we kinda write that way. Of course, we also write some by ourselves.
- Josh Tuner wants people to know it’s not just his voice — he does everything deeply: “[...] I just want people to know that I never compromised. I’ve never been one to compromise in anything I believe in. I feel deeply, I sing deeply, I love deeply and I hurt deeply. Everything I do is deep, and that’s the way I’ve always been.”
- Husband and wife duo Joey+Rory will release their new album, simply titled Album #2, sometime this summer. In the mean time, you can catch them on tour with the Zac Brown Band.
- Billy Joe Shaver on the story behind his song “Live Forever:”
My son Eddy gave me that way back around 1989. Oh God, it’s such a great melody. The melody’s so good that I carried it around for six months before I could figure out what to put with it. I think Eddy gave it to me just to kick my (expletive)!
- My Kind of Country’s Occasional Hope on Walt Wilkins‘ last record, Vigil: “It is a very low key, quiet record, with songs which are beautiful and thoughtful, and the sequencing is perfect. It is a very mature piece of work with an emotional and spiritual honesty which resonates very strongly with me.”
- Music Fog:
- Rhonda Vincent is documenting the recording process for a new album on her website. (via The Bluegrass Blog)
- The new Court Yard Hounds (Dixie Chicks’ Emily Robison and Martie Maguire) album can be pre-ordered on the duo’s website, where several songs can also be streamed. If you do pre-order the album, you’ll receive four album tracks instantly. Also, be sure to check out the bio to see what the sisters have been up to and the inspiration behind the new music.
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."