Easton Corbin – “Roll With It”
Having just seen his debut single “A Little More Country Than That” top the charts, Easton Corbin must be on top of the world. And now that the majority of radio listeners know he is not George Strait, Corbin’s ready to capitalize with a strong second single waiting in the wings.
Since it’s the time of year when folks are shaking off the winter doldrums, it makes sense for Corbin’s next single to celebrate blowing town for a little fun in the sun. There are two songs on his debut album that fit the bill: “A Lot to Learn About Livin’,” which is a decent song even if the lyrics sound like they might have been stolen from Kenny Chesney’s tour bus circa 2004, and “Roll With It.” Luckily The Powers That Be chose the latter, an involuntary toe-tapper with a catchy hook.
Consider it “Heads Carolina, Tails California” for country boys, as Corbin, tired of the daily grind, instructs his gal “fill that cooler full of something cold/Don’t ask, just pack/And we’ll hit the road runnin’.” The destination: anywhere there’s a beach. It doesn’t matter if it rains, or the tide carries them away because they’re going to…wait for it…roll with it. Of course, there’s a reference to snacking on pork rinds, because Corbin is a little more country than potato chips, and fishing poles get another shoutout.
Corbin’s laidback, boy-next-door delivery fits the song perfectly, accompanied by a pleasant, if a generic neo-neotraditionalist arrangement; “Roll With It” (written by Tony Lane and Johnny Park) may not be the strongest song on the album, but it’s three and a half minutes of escapist fun.
Need a carefree summer anthem, or just some inspiration for playing hooky on a beautiful day? Easton Corbin’s your man.
Listen on MySpace: Easton Corbin – “Roll With It”
- Jack: The Everly Brothers "Song Our Daddy Taught Us" and "Roots" LPs look good.
- Juli Thanki: Indeed, Richie. Leslie Knope is my spirit animal.
- Six String Richie: That Parks & Rec. clip was perfection! Everybody reading this blog should watch it even if they don't watch the …
- Ben Foster: I'm coveting Dolly Parton's "Blue Smoke" 45.
- Barry Mazor: Speculation is free!
- Jack: Taste of Country has a pretty shallow point of view, and this little blurb is exhibit A.
- Leeann Ward: It is admittedly fun to speculate about these things.
- luckyoldsun: I wonder if the key to learning Gong Kwon Yu Sul is to be higher than a kite. lol
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I didn't say or imply that I have superior knowledge about the nominating process or workings--I'm just willing to make …
- CraigR.: After watching Easton Corbin's video I am left wondering where the man who made " I'm A Little Bit More …