Earl Scruggs Center to Open in January; Festy Lineup Announced; New Album Releases
- Loretta Lynn didn’t let a broken rib keep her from singing. Lynn also told Billboard’s Chuck Dauphin that she’s interested in making another album with Jack White.
- The Earl Scruggs Center will open in Shelby, NC on January 11.
- The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum has secured $78 million in contributions as part of its campaign to raise money for a $100 million renovation.
- Stream Brian Wright’s Rattle Their Chains, Sheryl Crow’s Feels Like Home; and Elephant Revival’s These Changing Skies.
- Toby Keith, Kellie Pickler, and Paul Thorn are among the artists heading to Australia to play CMC Rocks the Hunter in 2014.
- The A.V. Club adds The Louvin Brothers’ “I Don’t Believe You’ve Met My Baby” to their “Hear This” series.
- This year’s inductees into the Memphis Music Hall of Fame will be announced on September 10.
- If you want to hear Kacey Musgraves and Ryan Adams sing children’s songs, NoiseTrade has you covered.
- The Randy Rogers Band will record a live album this October.
- Ronnie McCoury shared his memories of Cowboy Jack Clement with Bluegrass Today’s Daniel Mullins.
- Lincoln Durham’s Exodus of the Deemed Unrighteous will be released October 29.
- On September 7, Randy Barnes will make his debut as the new bass player for Joe Mullins & The Radio Ramblers. (via press release)
- Sarah Larson celebrates “The Power of Linda Ronstadt’s Voice” for The New Yorker.
- Della Mae, Chris Thile & Michael Daves, and Lake Street Dive are among the acts performing at the Infamous Stringdusters’ annual Festy in Roseland, Virginia. This year’s event is scheduled for October 10-13.
- Patsy Cline fans made a pilgrimage to Winchester, Virginia to celebrate the singer. Cline would have turned 81 on September 8.
- Trisha Yearwood’s episode of Who Do You Think You Are? airs on TLC tonight.
- Eavesdrop on a conversation between Neko Case and k.d. lang. The two women talk about songwriting, lang’s influence on alt-country, and Loretta Lynn’s delightful habit of bringing sandwich fixings to recording sessions.
- The White Buffalo was featured in American Songwriter.
- Kacey Musgraves is a mighty entertaining interview subject. Here she talks about her writing, her crushing childhood defeat in the “Little Miss Tater Tot” contest, and “The Slut Song.”
- Peter Cooper writes about Chris Gantry in his new Tennessean column.
- Lucinda Williams will mark the 25th anniversary of the release of her self-titled album by playing an Americana Fest showcase.
- This Bear Family box set memorializing The Johnson City Sessions can’t come out soon enough.
- This week’s album releases:
Over the Rhine – Meet Me at the Edge of the World
Reckless Kelly – Long Night Moon
Elephant Revival – These Changing Skies
Craig Morgan – The Journey: Livin’ Hits
Mike Mangione & The Union – Red-Winged Blackbird Man
Stonewall Jackson – Original Greatest Hits (remastered)
Jo Ann Campbell – All the Hits: Her Complete Cameo Recordings
Jasper Dickson – Living in the Thick of It
Richard Buckner – Surrounded
Various Artists – Boardwalk Empire: Vol. 2 (Music from the HBO Original Series)
Various Artists – Sweet Relief III: Pennies from Heaven
Various Artists – Sandra Boynton’s Frog Trouble
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.