Dwight Yoakam Slated to Make 24th Appearance on The Tonight Show
- When Dwight Yoakam appears on “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno” tomorrow he’ll break the record for most musical appearances on the show by any artist. He’s currently tied with Lyle Lovett at 23. One of the tunes he plans to play is “Act Naturally,” from the catalog of his late mentor, Buck Owens.
“Jay and I always joked about it,” Yoakam said Monday from his home in Los Angeles. “I guess Lyle and I have made a career of doing Jay’s show.”
Sometimes he was there to promote a record, sometimes a movie. Whichever, he always brought his guitar. “I figured since I was there I might as well sing.”
- Brian Mansfield says the romance between country and pop music is beginning to heat up.
- After returning from his trip/tour of Europe, Rodney Hayden will be heading into the studio with his band on June 3rd to cut a new album. Plus, he’ll be holding the inaugural Rodney Hayden Music Festival on July 26th in McCoy, TX.
- A Guitar and a Pen is a new book that collects short stories from the pen of two dozen songwriters, including Bobby Braddock, Tom T. Hall and Kris Kristofferson. However, the book has raised concerns over its accuracy. One of the stories–presented as a real-life, first-person narrative–was attributed to Hazel Smith, but she says she did not write the story. Robert Hicks, one of the book’s co-editors, acknowledged writing the story, and in the process relayed some inaccurate information. None of the other stories have raised concerns since most are presented as works of fiction.
- Carter’s Chord will digitally release their self-titled debut album on June 17. A physical release is expected later this year.
- Mens Fitness magazine named Dierks Bentley as one of the “The 25 Fittest Guys In America.”
- Taylor Swift‘s love affair with prom continued on Monday night when she attended the party for her first No. 1 hit, “Our Song,” and the multi-platinum success of her debut album wearing a prom dress. She specifically asked for a prom theme for the party and wore the same dress that she donned in the video for “Our Song.” According to CMT’s Edward Morris, Swift said her sophomore album is almost completed and that she would like to start getting cuts on other people’s albums. She was also hushed by her publicist when she began to reveal a jeans endorsement deal.
- NASCAR driver Elliot Sadler says don’t surprised if you hear him singing on country radio one day.
- The current issue of American Songwriter features Alan Jackson on the cover and articles on Eric Church, Hayes Carll, Rivers Rutherford and Sarah Buxton. Plus the free CD includes music from Willie Nelson, Jerry Jeff Walker, John Prine and more.
- Bobby P.: Thanks for the link to my one hit wonder article!
- Leeann: I'm glad you reviewed this album. I think your rating is what I'd give it too. It's a good album, …
- luckyoldsun: That Bobby Bare/Bill Parsons story has been often told, but I still don't quite understand how two then-nobodies could go …
- Leeann: The Jack Clement album is quite good!
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …