Dunn, Lambert Announce New Albums; “Seven Spanish Angels” Used as Evidence in Murder Trial; New Music Videos
- It looks as if Bill Monroe and Tammy Wynette may be on their very own postage stamps in the future.
- Jewly Hight interviewed Eleni Mandell about her new album, Let’s Fly a Kite, for CMT Edge. An excerpt: “It’s really hard to express how much it meant to hear other people do my songs — and do them so well and from such a loving place. Also, my peers that I really respect, to have their respect … it made me feel legitimate because I’ve never had mainstream success in the music business.”
- Brad Paisley collaborated with The Doobie Brothers during Sony Music Nashville’s CRS concert aboard the General Jackson showboat.
- Watch Little Big Town and George Strait perform “You Look So Good in Love” together.
- A tragic accident killed one and injured seven members of the film crew shooting a scene on a railroad trestle for the Gregg Allman biopic, Midnight Rider.
- Blake Shelton unveiled 22 dates for his Ten Times Crazier Tour.
- Miranda Lambert’s next album will be called Platinum.
- Actress/singer Lucy Hale will release her debut album, Road Between, on June 3.
- Ben Briley, a top 13 contestant on this season of American Idol, has country roots. His great-grandmother, Kitty Cora Cline, was the first female soloist to perform on the Grand Ole Opry.
- Scott Borchetta is keeping it classy.
- Dolly Parton split from Porter Wagoner 40 years ago this month.
- The piquant C.M. Wilcox shines a spotlight on web series Searching for Taylor Swift.
- Ronnie Dunn’s new album, Peace Love and Country Music, drops on April 8. You can listen to “Romeo and Juliet” here.
- Meet Palmer Lee.
- Dierks Bentley to Peter Cooper: “Riser is the cornerstone of the record. That’s the guy I’d like to be. Like my dad. I look out in the crowd every night and see regular folks who have to get up, take kids to school and pay bills under tremendous economic stress. It’s that idea of rising up for these times, of being a rock for your family. Of being a real man with real responsibilities.”
- Ray Charles and Willie Nelson’s “Seven Spanish Angels” has been entered as evidence in a murder trial.
- Krystal Keith performed “Down Into Muddy Water” on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson last week.
- Chris Janson will be releasing an EP called Take It to the Bank on February 25.
- New music videos from the past week or so:
Dierks Bentley – “Bourbon in Kentucky”
O’Shea – “It Never Goes Away”
The Infamous Stringdusters – “Let It Go”
Cassadee Pope – “I Wish I Could Break Your Heart”
Liza Anne – “The Colder Months”
Brothers Osborne – “Let’s Go There”
Blake Shelton – “Doin’ What She Likes”
Little Big Town – “Sober”
Rascal Flatts – “Rewind”
Rosanne Cash – “Etta’s Tune”
Amelia White – “Ghetto”
Katie Brianna – “Dark Side of the Morning”
Livy Jeanne – “Wrong Side of the Dirt”
Sundy Best – “Until I Met You”
The Black Lillies – “Smokestack Lady”
Scott Miller – “How Am I Ever Gonna Be Me?”
Susan Toney – “The Trail of Light and Dark”
Stone Jack Jones – “Petey’s Song”
I Draw Slow – “Valentine”
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."