Dr. Emmylou Harris; New Releases; Tom Russell Benefits from ‘Letterman’ Ratings Boost
- The Berklee College of Music presented Emmylou Harris with an honorary doctor of music.
New releases for the week of October 6, 2009 include:
- Bob Wills Radio has an interview with Asleep at the Wheel frontman Ray Benson.
- Amber Waves of Twang’s Chip Frazier on the recently released Two Tons of Steel record, Not That Lucky:
[...] this album is also a vintage Honky Tonk party. One listen to Not That Lucky will have you pouring sawdust on your hardwood floors and clearing the furniture. So call the neighbors and have plenty if PBR on hand because they will want to join the party. After all something this fun needs be shared and enjoyed by all, at least until the Cops arrive.
- Juli Thanki reviewed Tom Russell‘s concert on Saturday night. Russell delightfully noted that he had taped a segment for “Letterman” the same day Dave made his big announcement, which led to a ratings boost.
Music Fog videos:
- In an interview with Country Standard Time, Amanda Shires remembers the first song she ever wrote:
CST: Do you remember sitting down and writing that very first song?
AS: I do. Something about despair is just another stair my heart must dare to bear. (laughs and laughs some more) Isn’t that awful?
CST: Come on, you get points for rhyming, right?
CST: Maybe you get points taken away….
AS: You do if it’s like 10 sentences in a row. I was in 6th grade, and I think I was trying to be smarter than I was.
- Craig Shelburne profiled Dale Ann Bradley, who recently won her third IBMA female vocalist of the year award.
- Farce the Music published two relative size charts, one of which is a special Brooks & Dunn edition.
- Actor and singer Jason Petty, who plays Marty Robbins in a new musical at the Flat Rock Playhouse, shared the story of his brief encounter with Robbins:
The night before Petty’s first musical performance in high school, he was stopped at a traffic signal in Nashville.
“This purple and yellow Corvette pulled up to the light. And it was Marty Robbins,” Petty said. “He had a mustache and big mutton chop (sideburns), which were in style then. He just winked and nodded. And he gave me a thumbs up. That inspired me so much.
“Something spiritual happened that night,” Petty said. “I think about it a lot when I’m on stage. I just wish he could see me now.”
- Alt-512 Music Musings has audio of The Gourds performing a 15-minute jam, which includes “I Can See Clearly Now,” “Up On Cripple Creek,” Psycho Killer,” “Life During Wartime,” and “Gin & Juice,” at Threadgill’s a few nights ago.
- Despite a perceived lack of response to some of his recent releases, Billy Joe Shaver figures he’ll make at least one more album.
- Winners for our recent Rosanne Cash giveaway are David, Alex, and Merlefan49. Congrats guys, we’ll be in touch shortly to get your contact info. If you didn’t win this go around, head over to Country Universe for another chance.
- Also, check out Country California for an opportunity to pick up Toby Keith‘s latest disc.
- Look out Tyler Dean, you’ve got competition. Broadcast music songwriter Justin Byrd, who attended a casting call for modeling in 2004, performed his own ode to country’s teen princess: “Taylor Swift (You’re the One That I Love)”.
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …
- paul w dennis: The Kershaw album is really noteworthy for its song selections. Other than "I'll Share My World With You", it omits …
- Leeann: The Sammy Kershaw tribute to George Jones is pretty good on first listen. Of course, Sammy's no George, but their …
- Jeremy Dylan: I did a podcast on Joni Mitchell's BLUE album recently and was wondering if there was a good bio of …
- Leeann Ward: Well, that was a mighty unnecessarily flippant comment I just made there and the better angels of my nature make …
- Leeann Ward: As for me, I'd realize I'd written a crappy song if Luke Bryan ended up being the one who wanted …
- luckyoldsun: You say Marx is very gracious--again implying that he should feel aggrieved. Well, apparently, he DOESN'T feel aggrieved--He feels gratitude …