Donna Ulisse — “You Cannot Stay Here”
Well, it’s the holiday season, which means that, short of moving into an abandoned missile silo, for the next four weeks you won’t be able to escape a near-constant soundtrack of Christmas music. Luckily, bluegrass songbird Donna Ulisse has a new Christmas song that will soothe even the Grinchiest of hearts. “You Cannot Stay Here,” one of two digital singles that will be part of Ulisse’s upcoming holiday album, which is due for release by Christmas of 2012.
The lyrics, written by Ulisse, vividly depict the Biblical scene in which the innkeeper, though not unmoved by their plight and their “but we’re carrying the son of God” pleas, tells Mary and Joseph “I see your woman’s burden underneath her garment/But, brother, there’s no bed,” and directs the exhausted pair to the stable “where the beasts will keep you warm” and “the roof will keep you dry until the sunlight brings the morn.”
The song’s sparse, acoustic arrangement is simply lovely. Husband Rick Stanley and producer Keith Sewell (who also contributes guitar and banjo) support Ulisse’s crystal clear alto with sweetly sung harmonies while Andy Leftwich and Viktor Krauss play mandolin and bass, respectively.
“You Cannot Stay Here” is a fine respite from the more bombastic Christmas songs that hit the air this time every year. In fact, it’s a track you might find yourself listening to year-round.
- Jack: The Everly Brothers "Song Our Daddy Taught Us" and "Roots" LPs look good.
- Juli Thanki: Indeed, Richie. Leslie Knope is my spirit animal.
- Six String Richie: That Parks & Rec. clip was perfection! Everybody reading this blog should watch it even if they don't watch the …
- Ben Foster: I'm coveting Dolly Parton's "Blue Smoke" 45.
- Barry Mazor: Speculation is free!
- Jack: Taste of Country has a pretty shallow point of view, and this little blurb is exhibit A.
- Leeann Ward: It is admittedly fun to speculate about these things.
- luckyoldsun: I wonder if the key to learning Gong Kwon Yu Sul is to be higher than a kite. lol
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I didn't say or imply that I have superior knowledge about the nominating process or workings--I'm just willing to make …
- CraigR.: After watching Easton Corbin's video I am left wondering where the man who made " I'm A Little Bit More …