Donald Trump Fires Clint Black and Lyric Street Drops Josh Gracin
- Clint Black couldn’t fill Trace Adkins‘ shoes and was fired on Celebrity Apprentice last night, just shy of earning a spot in the top four.
- Josh Gracin added a new song to his MySpace titled “Enough,” and in a blog post he mentions that it’s his first project without Lyric Street. (via CountryMusicIsLove)
- Jason Michael Carroll on his new album, Growing Up Is Getting Old:
“We could have focused on the sophomore curse,” Carroll says of his April 28 release “Growing Up Is Getting Old” (Arista Nashville). “But producer Don Gehman and I feel that if you focus on negative energy and you worry about things too much, then you reciprocate that negative energy. We did just what we did on the first record: put good songs on the album that meant something to me. We were also looking for that little something extra to show growth over the last three years.”
If you have to actively seek “something extra to show growth,” is it really growth?
- If you happened to watch the Kenny Chesney video debut of “Out Last Night” on Friday and felt like it was a piece of shiftwork, then you’ll enjoy Farce the Music’s parody “Plowed Last Night.”
- Watch Jake Owen cover “Everything That Glitters Is Not Gold.”
- My Kind of Country found The Life and Times of Keith Whitley on YouTube, which is a documentary that originally aired on TNN.
- Ninebullets.net recommends the new Wayne Hancock album Viper of Melody.
- Austin Music Source’s Brian T. Atkinson says Sugarland brought a different kind of hat act to the Frank Erwin Center last Thursday: thinking man’s mainstream country.
- Barry Mazor’s new book, Meeting Jimmie Rodgers: How America’s Original Roots Music Hero Changed the Pop Sounds of a Century, is now shipping. (Amazon)
- Jason Michael Carroll stumbles on the idea of list songs and Darius Rucker settles for the status quo in this week’s edition of “Quotable Country.”
- Music Fog posted video of an interview with Jesse Winchester, who recently released a new album titled Love Filling Station and is the songwriter behind songs like “Mississippi, You’re On My Mind,” “Biloxi” and “I’m Gonna Miss You, Girl.”
- Country Universe’s Kevin J. Coyne listed ten of the best Dwight Yoakam songs for those looking to familiarize themselves with his catalog and need a place to start.
- Take notice, Country Weekly‘s Chris Neal pinned five stars on the single-CD reissue of the 1972 and ’73 George Jones albums A Picture of Me and Nothing Ever Hurt Me.
- The folks at Alt-512 make a case for artists retiring their covers of Townes Van Zandt‘s “White Freighliner Blues” in concert.
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …