Don Williams Takes Break From Retirement; Keith Urban To Host All for the Hall Tomorrow; LeAnn Rimes Re-records “Blue”
- Don Williams looks a little older, but NewsOK’s Ed Godfrey says he sounded as smooth as ever in the first of a series of concerts that bookend his induction into the Country Music Hall of Fame.
- Keith Urban‘s All for the Hall — his annual fundraising concert for the Country Music Hall of Fame — will take place tomorrow night. Each singer will perform a cover from one of their musical heroes.
Urban said he plans to play a Don Williams cover.
“He’s probably still the biggest influence I have as far as the music I heard growing up,” Urban said. “I don’t wear his influences on my sleeve as much as some artists do, but if I was to pick up a guitar, I bet I know maybe 40 or 50 of his songs top to bottom. I can’t say that about anybody else. It’s crazy.”
- Greenwood Publishing is set to release Carrie Underwood: A Biography this week as part of its Greenwood Biographies series. It was written by Vernell Hackett, who you might recognize as one of the contributors to Aol’s country site The Boot. (via Jimmy Carter)
- LeAnn Rimes hit up YouTube to let her fans know that her new album Lady and Gentlemen, originally scheduled to be released tomorrow, is being delayed to give her time to record a bonus track and a new version of “Blue.”
- The Country Music Hall of Fame is hosting a contest in which the grand prize winner will receive an autographed copy of Marshall Chapman‘s book They Came to Nashville along with free hotel accommodations, tickets to the Hall of Fame and the Grand Ole Opry, and more. Ten second place winners will receive an autographed copy of They Came to Nashville and a $30 prize pack from the Hall.
- CBS News correspondent Betty Nguyen talked to Willie Nelson about the impact of Farm Aid, which helped raise money over the weekend in Milwaukee with its 25th concert.
- Jon Caramanica on the new Toby Keith album:
“Bullets in the Gun” is his most scattershot album to date, a jumble of attitudes and tactics. Much of the time Mr. Keith, who has been one of the most underappreciated vocal stylists in country music, is singing without conviction on songs that are mere archetypes and lack any of his signature gestures.
- Five awesome Loretta Lynn videos.
- On Nov. 9, the performing rights organization BMI will present songwriter-producer Billy Sherrill with its Icon Award during its 58th annual country awards.
- Gene Watson has been on the road more in the past year than the past ten years.
“I am thankful for that,” Watson said. “I don’t know what has caused it other than the two new albums in the past two years. It’s been good for us. We play to packed houses and we are just thrilled.”
- LimeWire Music Blog’s Chuck Dauphin paid tribute to five great songs of the West.
- Joey Guerra published a brief Q&A with singer-songwriter Glenna Bell, who will release a new album Oct. 19 titled Perfectly Legal: Songs of Sex, Love and Murder.
- Meanwhile, Songs:Illinois highlighted Bell’s duet with John Evans on “Honky Tonk Man,” a song previously performed by Marty Robbins for a Clint Eastwood film.
- The Tennessean posted 86 pictures of the renovated backstage area at the Grand Ole Opry.
Here are the Rhythm Angels, consisting of Celeste Krenz and Rebecca Folsom, performing their song “If I Had a Gun” for the Music Fog crew. Last year’s excellent release from Tom Russell and Gretchen Peters, One to the Heart, One to the Head, borrowed its title from a line in this song.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.