Don Williams Misses Hall of Fame Induction; Opry Titles Newest Song “Blake Shelton”; And Taylor Swift News
- Jimmy Dean and Don Williams were inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame last night. Unfortunately, neither inductee was present at the ceremony: Dean passed away earlier this year and Williams was suffering with bronchitis, but is expected to resume his tour on Tuesday. Peter Cooper has a recap.
- A new TV show based on a Funny or Die video in which Jewel disguised herself for a karaoke contest has been ordered by TBS.
- Club 21, the oldest continuously operated dancehall in Texas, burned to the ground early Sunday morning when a speeding car crashed into the front of the building. The owner says the 117-year-old club won’t be rebuilt.
- To Blake Shelton, the Grand Ole Opry is an artist and he’s proud to be one of its songs, or more literally, one of its members — a designation that was made official Saturday night with his induction ceremony.
- Garth Brooks has a news conference scheduled for Thursday. There’s no word on what announcement he has planned.
- The Dixie Chicks, Randy Houser, and Dolly Parton‘s breasts are among the targets for this month’s collection of parody album covers at Farce the Music.
- Writing for the Y! Music Country Blog, Chris Willman calls “Dear John” the best song of the year. He also calls “Dear John” the worst song of the year. He’s actually referring to two different songs, the first was written by Taylor Swift and the second by Jessie James, who also has a little history with John Mayer.
- Guitars, costumes, handwritten lyrics, and other personal effects belonging to Johnny Cash will be up for auction on Dec. 5.
- Country California: Quotable Country – 10/24/10 Edition
- Lady Antebellum performed a gig at a Wisconsin gas station.
- Chet Flippo on Taylor Swift‘s new reality:
Taylor belonged only briefly to Nashville and to country music. She now belongs to the world, and the world will treat her accordingly. She’s only going to face more intense scrutiny and more vitriol than she has ever known before.
It’s getting scary when a middle-aged music commentator such as Bob Lefsetz writes a lengthy blog on why he is sure that he’s the subject of Taylor’s song “Mean.” (Note to Bob: I actually did have an artist write a similar song about me, but much nastier and much more graphic, and I didn’t tell the whole world about it at the time and I see no need to pontificate on it now.)
- Charleston, SC 1966 is only Darius Rucker‘s second country album, but The New York Times‘ Jon Caramanica says he’s already fluent in the modes and poses.
- For their Mountain Stage debut, Whitey Morgan and the 78‘s performed two songs from each of their albums, which include 2008’s Honky Tonks and Cheap Motels and their recently-released self-titled album.
- Music Fog: Sara Petite – “Bootleggers”
- Music City Roots kicked off its second season last week with the Harpers, the Huntley Sisters, Next Best Thing, and Rhonda Vincent. It was also the show’s first night with its new radio home at Lightning 100.
- There are a lot of articles on Taylor Swift today, many of which are multi-page profiles. After reading a few, they begin to bleed together, so for sanity’s sake I’m leaving out summaries and just linking those that crossed my path: USA Today (Brian Mansfield), Los Angeles Times (Randy Lewis), Los Angeles Times (Ann Powers), The Boston Globe (James Reed), The Wall Street Journal (Christopher John Farley), The Tennessean (Peter Cooper), The New York Times (Jon Caramanica), and more.
Here’s Joey+Rory‘s new video for the song “That’s Important to Me.”
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …