Don Williams Misses Hall of Fame Induction; Opry Titles Newest Song “Blake Shelton”; And Taylor Swift News
- Jimmy Dean and Don Williams were inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame last night. Unfortunately, neither inductee was present at the ceremony: Dean passed away earlier this year and Williams was suffering with bronchitis, but is expected to resume his tour on Tuesday. Peter Cooper has a recap.
- A new TV show based on a Funny or Die video in which Jewel disguised herself for a karaoke contest has been ordered by TBS.
- Club 21, the oldest continuously operated dancehall in Texas, burned to the ground early Sunday morning when a speeding car crashed into the front of the building. The owner says the 117-year-old club won’t be rebuilt.
- To Blake Shelton, the Grand Ole Opry is an artist and he’s proud to be one of its songs, or more literally, one of its members — a designation that was made official Saturday night with his induction ceremony.
- Garth Brooks has a news conference scheduled for Thursday. There’s no word on what announcement he has planned.
- The Dixie Chicks, Randy Houser, and Dolly Parton‘s breasts are among the targets for this month’s collection of parody album covers at Farce the Music.
- Writing for the Y! Music Country Blog, Chris Willman calls “Dear John” the best song of the year. He also calls “Dear John” the worst song of the year. He’s actually referring to two different songs, the first was written by Taylor Swift and the second by Jessie James, who also has a little history with John Mayer.
- Guitars, costumes, handwritten lyrics, and other personal effects belonging to Johnny Cash will be up for auction on Dec. 5.
- Country California: Quotable Country – 10/24/10 Edition
- Lady Antebellum performed a gig at a Wisconsin gas station.
- Chet Flippo on Taylor Swift‘s new reality:
Taylor belonged only briefly to Nashville and to country music. She now belongs to the world, and the world will treat her accordingly. She’s only going to face more intense scrutiny and more vitriol than she has ever known before.
It’s getting scary when a middle-aged music commentator such as Bob Lefsetz writes a lengthy blog on why he is sure that he’s the subject of Taylor’s song “Mean.” (Note to Bob: I actually did have an artist write a similar song about me, but much nastier and much more graphic, and I didn’t tell the whole world about it at the time and I see no need to pontificate on it now.)
- Charleston, SC 1966 is only Darius Rucker‘s second country album, but The New York Times‘ Jon Caramanica says he’s already fluent in the modes and poses.
- For their Mountain Stage debut, Whitey Morgan and the 78‘s performed two songs from each of their albums, which include 2008’s Honky Tonks and Cheap Motels and their recently-released self-titled album.
- Music Fog: Sara Petite – “Bootleggers”
- Music City Roots kicked off its second season last week with the Harpers, the Huntley Sisters, Next Best Thing, and Rhonda Vincent. It was also the show’s first night with its new radio home at Lightning 100.
- There are a lot of articles on Taylor Swift today, many of which are multi-page profiles. After reading a few, they begin to bleed together, so for sanity’s sake I’m leaving out summaries and just linking those that crossed my path: USA Today (Brian Mansfield), Los Angeles Times (Randy Lewis), Los Angeles Times (Ann Powers), The Boston Globe (James Reed), The Wall Street Journal (Christopher John Farley), The Tennessean (Peter Cooper), The New York Times (Jon Caramanica), and more.
Here’s Joey+Rory‘s new video for the song “That’s Important to Me.”
- Jeremy Dylan: One might say that a good way to pay tribute to RCA Studio a would be to not demolish it …
- Both Kinds of Music: What an excellent team-up.
- Pam Wallace: A day like yesterday,...driving through Ohio countryside with leaves beginning to turn and cows lying in the pastures because every …
- Jackie Lester: My favorite part of autumn is seeing wooly bear caterpillars!
- Mike harris: Love fall with the warm glow of the sun and all the beautiful fall colors
- Richrd Simerson: Love good old bluegrass music
- Six String Richie: Studio A will be replaced with a dog park, condos and restaurants. Gentrification at it's finest.
- Denise Vernon: Full moon with smell of leaves burning.
- Lisa Phillips: Love the Radio Ramblers! My favorite thing about fall is everything pumpkin.....coffee, cookies, muffins, pie.....etc!
- Sabrina Parnell: Def the cooler temps, football, great food , holidays on the way ,and of course more good country music releases.