Don Devaney Passes Away; Another Hank Williams Biopic in the Works; Grammy Awards Add “Best American Roots Performance”
- Songwriter Don Devaney, who penned “Someone Loves You Honey,” “Listening to the Rain,” and many more, passed away last Friday at the age of 78.
- The Grammy Awards added several new categories, one of which is Best American Roots Performance. The press release notes that this is an artist’s award that will “encompass all of the subgenres of the Field (Americana, bluegrass, blues, folk, regional roots music), and recognizes singles/tracks only as well as solo artists/duos/groups/collaborations. This puts the Field in line with the Pop, Rock, Rap, R&B, Country, and Gospel/Contemporary Christian Music Fields, all of which have performance categories.”
- Ralph Stanley is featured in The Wall Street Journal.
- National Geographic ran a feature on “Country: Portraits of an American Sound” photo exhibit.
- Tom Hiddleston (The Avengers) has signed on to play Hank Williams in a forthcoming biopic called I Saw the Light; the screenplay is based on Colin Escott’s fantastic biography of the country legend. Hiddleston will do his own singing.
- Lera Lynn will release The Avenues on September 9. (via press release)
- Out September 1: Irish singer-songwriter Ben Glover’s Atlantic, which includes co-writes with Gretchen Peters and Mary Gauthier. (via press release)
- Kimberly Perry got married.
- News of another country music awards show? Must be Friday. Fox will air the American Country Countdown Awards on December 15.
- Otis Gibbs will release Souvenirs of a Misspent Youth on August 19. (via press release)
- Amazon launched a music streaming service for Prime subscribers. However, The New York Times reports that Prime Music lacks most new releases as well as Universal Music Group’s catalog.
- Kenny Chesney on his new album: “We’re in the mixing process now, so that’s exciting…I’ve been in here since October of last year, and we’re still in there…. I made a whole record and mixed it and threw it away. We’ve got a better record now for it.”
- Peter Cooper wrote a piece on Mary Gauthier’s songwriting tips for The Tennessean.
- All of these terrible, terrible hick-hop records exist.
- Dave and Phil Alvin were on NPR’s Fresh Air.
- The 615 shines their spotlight on Steven Padilla.
- Bluegrass DJ Carol Beaugard is stepping away from the microphone after 30 years to pursue acting.
- The T Bone Burnett/Stephen King/John Mellencamp play Ghost Brothers of Darkland County will tour again in the fall.
- Willie Nelson’s December Day, scheduled for release later this year, will have “eight or nine” originals and a version of Irving Berlin’s “Alexander’s Ragtime Band.” Nelson’s Band of Brothers comes out next week.
- Song/video premieres:
Otis Gibbs – “Ghosts of Our Fathers”
Sean Watkins – “Since the Day That I Was Born”
Dom Flemons – “San Francisco Baby”
Swamp Donkeys – Game of Thrones theme song (oldtimey jazz version)
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …