Dolly Parton in Car Accident; More CMA Awards Collaborations Announced; Album Releases
- Dolly Parton was involved in a car accident yesterday and sustained “minor injuries.” An official release date for her next album, Blue Smoke, hasn’t been announced yet, but we’ll keep you posted. On The Queen Latifah Show yesterday, Parton performed a song from her upcoming Lifetime Christmas movie.
- The 2013 CMA Broadcast Awards winners were announced.
- Zac Brown Band will perform with Dave Grohl and Hunter Hayes will team up with Jason Mraz at the CMA Awards.
- Stream The Devil Makes Three’s new, Buddy Miller-produced album, I’m a Stranger Here, before its October 29 release date.
- Rolling Stone premiered one of Clay Cook’s (Zac Brown Band) solo songs, “North Star.”
- In May, Bobby Hicks will be honored with the 2014 North Carolina Heritage Award.
- Here’s a lengthy New York Times feature on Chris Thile.
- Kelly Clarkson and Brandon Blackstock got married, looked gorgeous. Clarkson’s also the subject of a new Billboard cover story.
- Tedeschi Trucks Band played “Made Up Mind” on Conan. (warning: autoplay)
- The free American Songwriter Muse November Sampler includes songs by Possessed by Paul James, Sarah Jarosz, Shonna Tucker & Eye Candy, and lots more.
- Get the story behind “Two Pina Coladas” in this video interview featuring co-writer Benita Hill.
- Robert P. Walzer wrote a Wall Street Journal piece on David Bromberg, “the man who predates Americana.”
- David Morris of Bluegrass Today recapped Sunday’s Seldom Scene show at the old Red Fox Inn (now an Italian restaurant), the DC-area venue that hosted the band’s weekly shows 40 years ago. Emmylou Harris was the evening’s special guest.
- Nate Rau (The Tennessean) wrote a fine feature on Thirty Tigers.
- Dann Huff and Joey Moi made the Billboard list of music’s top ten producers.
- Download Richie Havens’ cover of Bob Marley’s “Three Little Birds.”
- Amos Lee is the American Songwriter Writer of the Week.
- If you missed the new Austin City Limits episode featuring Shovels & Rope, catch up here.
- This week’s album releases (as always, thank you for helping support Engine 145 by purchasing your music through our affiliate links):
Brandy Clark – 12 Stories
Andy Statman – Superstring Theory
Casey Driessen – The Singularity
Greg Trooper – Incident on Willow Street
Lincoln Durham – Exodus of the Deemed Unrighteous
Ray Price – Welcome to My World: The Love Songs of Ray Price
Robin and Linda Williams – Back 40
Junior Sisk & Joe Mullins – Hall of Fame Bluegrass
Natalie Stovall and The Drive – Natalie Stovall and The Drive
Clay Cook – North Star
Woody Guthrie – American Radical Patriot
Various Artists – Memories of That Old Country Church
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."