Dolly Parton and Cracker Barrel Get Cozy
- On March 23, each of the Cracker Barrel Old Country Stores will carry two limited-edition, pink Dolly Parton rocking chairs on their front porches. To coincide with the sale of the rocking chairs, Cracker Barrel will offer a deluxe edition of Backwoods Barbie, Parton’s new album, with three new songs.
- Asleep at the Wheel and Willie Nelson held a free, impromptu concert at Waterloo Records in downtown Austin yesterday.
- Emmylou Harris was among a group of artists who went before Congress this week to lobby for the Performance Right Act, legislation that would require radio stations to pay artists and musicians when their recordings are broadcast.
- Charlie Haden and his actor son-in-law Jack Black will make their Opry debut tomorrow night.
- The Boxmasters, who released their debut and one other album in 2008, will release their third record on April 21. Titled Modbilly, it’ll be a two-disc set — one with originals, the other featuring cover songs.
- The annual Toby Keith & Friends Golf Classic benefiting Ally’s House, an organization that assists pediatric cancer patients and their families throughout Oklahoma, will be held June 12 and 13 in Norman, Okla.
- GAC is hosting a series of eight webisodes from Randy Houser as he makes a trip back to his hometown.
- Finger Eleven guitarists James Black and Rick Jackett will be unveiling their alt.country side project in mid-March, but don’t expect it to sound anything like today’s country music. “Country music as everybody knows it is just pop music with a cowboy hat and shiny shirts,” says Black. “This goes back to the older stuff. This goes back to a different time.”
The band are influenced by the likes of Townes Van Zandt, Hank Williams, Merle Travis and Kenny Rogers. The songs, of which there are apparently 17 ready to go for an album scheduled to come out in June, stay true to classic country themes.
- This just in from The Gobblers Knob: you’ve been served with an awesome song alert.
- Taylor Swift, Tim McGraw, Faith Hill, Keith Urban and Sugarland are among the artists scheduled to pay tribute to George Strait in the CBS-TV special George Strait — ACM Artist of the Decade, which tapes April 6 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
- Listen to “These Days,” the first single from Bobby Duncan’s upcoming album Faith, Hope and Everything Else. (via Galleywinter)
- As of next Monday, legendary Nashville radio station 650AM WSM will be officially added to the Americana Music Radio Panel. (via press release)
- Sugarland announced the dates for the 2009 leg of their Love on the Inside tour.
- In an interview with the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette‘s Scott Mervis, Ben Kweller comments on the response to his new album, Changing Horses, and responds to criticisms that he used “secondary sources” while making the album.
- Don’t plan on Zac Brown shaving his beard anytime soon.
- Watch the premier of the very sensual video for the Zac Brown Band‘s “Whatever It Is.”
- Jeremy Dylan: One might say that a good way to pay tribute to RCA Studio a would be to not demolish it …
- Both Kinds of Music: What an excellent team-up.
- Pam Wallace: A day like yesterday,...driving through Ohio countryside with leaves beginning to turn and cows lying in the pastures because every …
- Jackie Lester: My favorite part of autumn is seeing wooly bear caterpillars!
- Mike harris: Love fall with the warm glow of the sun and all the beautiful fall colors
- Richrd Simerson: Love good old bluegrass music
- Six String Richie: Studio A will be replaced with a dog park, condos and restaurants. Gentrification at it's finest.
- Denise Vernon: Full moon with smell of leaves burning.
- Lisa Phillips: Love the Radio Ramblers! My favorite thing about fall is everything pumpkin.....coffee, cookies, muffins, pie.....etc!
- Sabrina Parnell: Def the cooler temps, football, great food , holidays on the way ,and of course more good country music releases.