Dolly Parton and Cracker Barrel Get Cozy
- On March 23, each of the Cracker Barrel Old Country Stores will carry two limited-edition, pink Dolly Parton rocking chairs on their front porches. To coincide with the sale of the rocking chairs, Cracker Barrel will offer a deluxe edition of Backwoods Barbie, Parton’s new album, with three new songs.
- Asleep at the Wheel and Willie Nelson held a free, impromptu concert at Waterloo Records in downtown Austin yesterday.
- Emmylou Harris was among a group of artists who went before Congress this week to lobby for the Performance Right Act, legislation that would require radio stations to pay artists and musicians when their recordings are broadcast.
- Charlie Haden and his actor son-in-law Jack Black will make their Opry debut tomorrow night.
- The Boxmasters, who released their debut and one other album in 2008, will release their third record on April 21. Titled Modbilly, it’ll be a two-disc set — one with originals, the other featuring cover songs.
- The annual Toby Keith & Friends Golf Classic benefiting Ally’s House, an organization that assists pediatric cancer patients and their families throughout Oklahoma, will be held June 12 and 13 in Norman, Okla.
- GAC is hosting a series of eight webisodes from Randy Houser as he makes a trip back to his hometown.
- Finger Eleven guitarists James Black and Rick Jackett will be unveiling their alt.country side project in mid-March, but don’t expect it to sound anything like today’s country music. “Country music as everybody knows it is just pop music with a cowboy hat and shiny shirts,” says Black. “This goes back to the older stuff. This goes back to a different time.”
The band are influenced by the likes of Townes Van Zandt, Hank Williams, Merle Travis and Kenny Rogers. The songs, of which there are apparently 17 ready to go for an album scheduled to come out in June, stay true to classic country themes.
- This just in from The Gobblers Knob: you’ve been served with an awesome song alert.
- Taylor Swift, Tim McGraw, Faith Hill, Keith Urban and Sugarland are among the artists scheduled to pay tribute to George Strait in the CBS-TV special George Strait — ACM Artist of the Decade, which tapes April 6 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
- Listen to “These Days,” the first single from Bobby Duncan’s upcoming album Faith, Hope and Everything Else. (via Galleywinter)
- As of next Monday, legendary Nashville radio station 650AM WSM will be officially added to the Americana Music Radio Panel. (via press release)
- Sugarland announced the dates for the 2009 leg of their Love on the Inside tour.
- In an interview with the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette‘s Scott Mervis, Ben Kweller comments on the response to his new album, Changing Horses, and responds to criticisms that he used “secondary sources” while making the album.
- Don’t plan on Zac Brown shaving his beard anytime soon.
- Watch the premier of the very sensual video for the Zac Brown Band‘s “Whatever It Is.”
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.