Dierks Bentley to Host 2013 ACM Honors Ceremony; Black Oak Arkansas Returns; New Album Releases
- Loretta Lynn’s eldest daughter, Betty Sue Lynn, passed away from complications of emphysema. She was 64.
- According to a recently released report, the music industry gives Nashville a $10 billion annual boost and has helped to create and sustain more than 56,000 jobs. Peter Cooper on the Music City study: “The ‘Nashville Music Industry’ report is thoroughly researched by thorough researchers, and it concludes that music is the driving force behind Nashville’s identity and economics. It asserts that there’s more music-making per capita in Nashville than anywhere else in the world. And, so … duh. I might as well have read a report that concludes that crab cakes taste good because they’re loaded with tasty crab, or that nudity enhances the can’t-look-away appeal of the bronze ‘Musica’ statue dancers at the Demonbreun traffic circle. This report was like last week’s non-shocking royal news from London: “‘Woman, nine months’ pregnant, gives birth.’”
- Stream performances from last weekend’s Newport Folk Festival on NPR’s site.
- Dierks Bentley will once again host the ACM Honors event at the Ryman. This year’s event is scheduled for September 10: Guy Clark, Hank Williams, Keith Whitley, The Judds, Blake Shelton, Lady Antebellum, and Jason Aldean are among the honorees.
- Jewly Hight did a great interview with The McCrary Sisters for American Songwriter.
- Country California posted a new edition of Quotable Country. The weekly feature just celebrated its fifth birthday.
- Taylor Swift brought Carly Simon onstage at a recent Gillette Stadium show to duet on “You’re So Vain.”
- Calvin Gilbert of CMT.com interviewed Guy Clark.
- Jack White donated $200,000 to the National Recording Preservation Foundation.
- The city of Owensboro, Kentucky is looking for an architect to design the outside of the new bluegrass center that’s in the works.
- The Avett Brothers did a Q&A for Esquire.
- Roger Knox performed “Stranger in My Country” on Australian sports program The Marngrook Footy Show.
- Learn the grammar rules behind a few “commonly disparaged” dialects–which you’ll often hear in roots music–like Appalachian English, Southern American English, and African-American English.
- Chris Hillman is working on a “short memoir” that “focuses strictly on my memories of growing up in Rancho Santa Fe, which at the time was just a small California town, and the book ends when I’m 16, and my father has committed suicide, and we’re destitute.”
- Chris Young is the subject of a new “Song Travels” episode, where he plays a few of his songs and some of his favorites, like “Rose in Paradise” and “Signed, Sealed, Delivered.” Listen here.
- Here’s a video of The Civil Wars’ “Same Old, Same Old.”
- Brad Paisley will perform his new single, “I Can’t Change the World,” on America’s Got Talent Wednesday night.
- Jeff Clair has signed with Lonesome Day Records; a new project is planned for release in 2014.
- Shania Twain returns to Vegas this October.
- Black Oak Arkansas will release Back Thar N’ Over Yonder on October 15. The album will include “five new songs from a 2013 reunion and 10 previously unreleased 1970s tracks produced by the legendary Tom Dowd.”
- This week’s album releases:
Vince Gill & Paul Franklin – Bakersfield
Ron Block – Walking Song
Buddy Guy – Rhythm & Blues
Darden Smith – Love Calling
Mike Stinson – Hell and Half of Georgia
Chris Shiflett & The Dead Peasants – All Hat and No Cattle
Gas House Gorillas – Punk Americana
The Oak Ridge Boys – 40th Anniversary: Celebrating Faith, Family, and Freedom
Josienne Clarke & Ben Walker – Fire & Fortune
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …