Del McCoury Band Teams Up with Preservation Hall Jazz Band; Pickup Lines In Country Music; Ralph Stanley Video Liner
- The Del McCoury Band is teaming up with the Preservation Hall Jazz Band for a new album and tour. (via @jonweisberger)
- NashvilleGab highlighted a comment made by entertainment reporter Jimmy Carter about all of Miranda Lambert‘s nominations:
Entertainment reporter, Jimmy Carter tells WKKT that an inside source told him that Miranda Lambert got 7 noms vs one for Carrie Underwood because their record label had to decide who to push, and they figured Miranda needed the noms more than Carrie did at this point.
- Chet Flippo posted a rundown of releases that give him reason to be cheerful, including the new one from The Civil Wars, Lori McKenna‘s Lorraine, “Farmer’s Daughter” from Crystal Bowersox, and Buddy Miller‘s forthcoming album.
- Lyle Lovett recorded “Anyhow, I Love You” for a new Guy Clark tribute album:
Lovett says he recently re-recorded Guy Clark’s “Anyhow, I Love You” for a forthcoming tribute album and in the process of making the song his own, he was astonished by it again and anew.
“I sat around the house playing it,” he says. “I had to pay attention to the phrasing, the way he counted the measures between verse and chorus. It’s an education.”
He also provides some sage advice about doing things that you like.
- Twangville’s Shawn Underwood puts Carrie Rodriguez and Ben Kyle‘s duet on “Love Hurts” in the same league as Emmylou Harris and Gram Parsons. Check it out here.
- Judging from The Boot’s list, pickup lines in country music tend to border on the absurd.
- Watch the new video for Mark Wills‘ “Looking For America” over at That Nashville Sound.
- Country California Fake News: Nashville Reacts to Trailer Choir Split
- KUT Senior Producer Andy Uhler sat down with Rodney Crowell to talk about his new book, Chinaberry Sidewalks. Take a listen to the uncut interview at Texas Music Matters.
- For this week’s Geezerville, Jim Caligiuri interviewed Gurf Morlix on all things Blaze Foley.
- Justin Townes Earle recently dropped by the Rolling Stone office to perform a few songs.
- Country Music Tattle Tale is giving away a prize pack that includes the new Waylon Jennings tribute album, a t-shirt, sticker and a poster. All you need to do is name your favorite Jennings song.
- Gretchen Peters posted a free download of “You Don’t Even Know Who I Am” recorded during her Wine, Women & Song tour with Suzy Bogguss and Matraca Berg. Registration is required, but it’s so worth it.
Check out Craig Havighurst and String Theory Media’s video liner for the new Ralph Stanley gospel album A Mother’s Prayer:
- nm: Does anyone know whatever became of the album that Shelby Lynne and Allison Moorer were going to do together?
- luckyoldsun: I'm not surprised. Artists who can't get seem to get a satisfactory deal with a commercial label always say how …
- Jack Williams: I'm a little surprised to hear of Shelby Lynne signing with another label, even if it is Rounder. She …
- A.B.: THREE new albums from Sturgill next year?! I'm excited for that!
- Keith Samuels: I can't wait to listen to the entire recording. What a treasure.
- numberonecountryfan: She did say the version of “How Do I Live” is the “country” version which was previously released to radio …
- bll: I'm happy for any new music from Trisha. I hope MCA doesn't decide to repackage her old stuff and release …
- Barry Mazor: I know for a fact that most of the album was recorded fresh and new with Garth Fundis some months …
- luckyoldsun: Michael, From the way it's being promoted, with Yearwood announcing a new label and a new album and with The Tennessean …
- Linda Salmons: Whoaa!!!! Makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. Beautiful tone and nuance - unmistakably Auldridge.