Del McCoury Band Teams Up with Preservation Hall Jazz Band; Pickup Lines In Country Music; Ralph Stanley Video Liner
- The Del McCoury Band is teaming up with the Preservation Hall Jazz Band for a new album and tour. (via @jonweisberger)
- NashvilleGab highlighted a comment made by entertainment reporter Jimmy Carter about all of Miranda Lambert‘s nominations:
Entertainment reporter, Jimmy Carter tells WKKT that an inside source told him that Miranda Lambert got 7 noms vs one for Carrie Underwood because their record label had to decide who to push, and they figured Miranda needed the noms more than Carrie did at this point.
- Chet Flippo posted a rundown of releases that give him reason to be cheerful, including the new one from The Civil Wars, Lori McKenna‘s Lorraine, “Farmer’s Daughter” from Crystal Bowersox, and Buddy Miller‘s forthcoming album.
- Lyle Lovett recorded “Anyhow, I Love You” for a new Guy Clark tribute album:
Lovett says he recently re-recorded Guy Clark’s “Anyhow, I Love You” for a forthcoming tribute album and in the process of making the song his own, he was astonished by it again and anew.
“I sat around the house playing it,” he says. “I had to pay attention to the phrasing, the way he counted the measures between verse and chorus. It’s an education.”
He also provides some sage advice about doing things that you like.
- Twangville’s Shawn Underwood puts Carrie Rodriguez and Ben Kyle‘s duet on “Love Hurts” in the same league as Emmylou Harris and Gram Parsons. Check it out here.
- Judging from The Boot’s list, pickup lines in country music tend to border on the absurd.
- Watch the new video for Mark Wills‘ “Looking For America” over at That Nashville Sound.
- Country California Fake News: Nashville Reacts to Trailer Choir Split
- KUT Senior Producer Andy Uhler sat down with Rodney Crowell to talk about his new book, Chinaberry Sidewalks. Take a listen to the uncut interview at Texas Music Matters.
- For this week’s Geezerville, Jim Caligiuri interviewed Gurf Morlix on all things Blaze Foley.
- Justin Townes Earle recently dropped by the Rolling Stone office to perform a few songs.
- Country Music Tattle Tale is giving away a prize pack that includes the new Waylon Jennings tribute album, a t-shirt, sticker and a poster. All you need to do is name your favorite Jennings song.
- Gretchen Peters posted a free download of “You Don’t Even Know Who I Am” recorded during her Wine, Women & Song tour with Suzy Bogguss and Matraca Berg. Registration is required, but it’s so worth it.
Check out Craig Havighurst and String Theory Media’s video liner for the new Ralph Stanley gospel album A Mother’s Prayer:
- luckyoldsun: And sometimes she breaks into "I Fought the Law and the Law Won."
- bob: @Leeann - Don Schlitz's wife Stacy is also a good singer. At some of his shows, she'll sing a song …
- Leeann: It's hardly on topic, but Don Schlitz's wife is an actual lawyer.
- Erik North: I like that list of country songs that Laura Cantrell drew up for people who are suspicious of the genre. …
- Leeann: Thank you for linking to my discussion. To clarify, they're not so much my favorite Dad songs, but rather, songs …
- Jack: "I got turned off a not so new guy’s music after he started recording songs like “Get Drunk and Be …
- A.B.: I think I understand why the eating disorder facility wants to be located there besides it being the former Cash …
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …