Deana Carter to Release New Album; Zac Brown Calls Out Luke Bryan’s “That’s My Kind of Night”; New Music Videos
- Zac Brown made a bunch of Luke Bryan fans upset late last week when he called Bryan’s “That’s My Kind of Night” “the worst song” he’d ever heard. He also said, “I see it being commercially successful, in what is called country music these days, but I also feel like that the people deserve something better than that. Country fans and country listeners deserve to have something better than that, a song that really has something to say, something that makes you feel something. Good music makes you feel something. When songs make me wanna throw up, it makes me ashamed to even be in the same genre as those songs.” If you want to cringe and laugh simultaneously, search Twitter for fans coming to Bryan’s rescue.
- Gary Allan angered Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood fans, saying that the women were “pop artists making a living in the country genre,” and that we have “lost our genre.”
- This morning Good Morning America is premiering Kenny Rogers’ new video for his duet with Dolly Parton, “You Can’t Make Old Friends.”
- Deana Carter will release her first album in over six years in November. On Facebook, you can listen to several songs that will be on Southern Way of Life and vote on which one should be Carter’s new single.
- Julie Roberts released the cover and track listing of her forthcoming album, Good Wine and Bad Decisions (out October 29). Vince Gill and Buddy Miller guest-star on the project.
- George Strait, Blake Shelton, Miranda Lambert, Eric Church, Reba McEntire, and Alabama are among the artists who’ve been added to the sizable lineup of performers at the George Jones tribute concert in Nashville on November 22.
- Watch the trailer for Jason Aldean’s upcoming concert DVD, Night Train to Georgia, here.
- This week’s Quotable Country from the esteemed C.M. Wilcox has been posted over at Country California.
- The comic strip Nancy included a Lee Brice cameo last week.
- Texan Kevin Fowler will release How Country Are Ya? on November 12.
- Trace Adkins and Show Dog-Universal may have parted ways already.
- LeAnn Rimes ended up in an Irish hospital late last week. She was placed on vocal rest and had to cancel her Dublin concert.
- Peter Cooper profiled Fats Kaplin for The Tennessean.
- Jennifer Nettles performed her solo single “That Girl” on The Ellen DeGeneres Show.
- Florida Georgia Line dream of recording with rapper Lil Wayne.
- Coming up with deeper lyrics was Sheryl Crow’s biggest challenge with her debut country album: “There’s none of that in country songwriting where you leave anything up to the imagination. Like any kind of [experimental alternative artist] Beck song, we all love it, but sometimes you have no idea what it’s about. The country format does not operate on that.”
- A section of Kentucky’s US 42 was dedicated in honor of Kenny Price.
- Kris Kristofferson has been inducted into the Scandinavian-American Hall of Fame.
- The Band Perry’s Pioneer has been certified gold.
- New music videos from the past week or so:
Tim O’Brien and Darrell Scott – “Keep Your Dirty Lights On”
New Country Rehab – “Empty Room Blues”
The Wood Brothers – “Keep Me Around”
Robby Armstrong – “Birthday Happy”
Darius Rucker – “Radio”
Luke Bryan – “That’s My Kind of Night”
Sarah Jarosz – “Build Me Up from Bones”
Eli Young Band – “Drunk Last Night”
Jason Hastie – “She Ain’t Pretty”
Autumn Hill – “Fire”
Livy Jeanne – “Any Other Way”
Kendall Beard – “Drinkin’”
Dean Brody – “Bounty”
Ashleigh Dallas – “Me”
Bart Crow Band – “Loving You’s a Crime”
The Time Jumpers and Mandy Barnett – “Walking the Floor Over You” (Live)
Stevie Nicks and Lady Antebellum – “Rhiannon”
Deana Carter – “You and Tequila” (live at the Opry)
Have Gun, Will Travel – “Standing at the End of the World”
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...