Dean Dillon to Receive BMI Icon Award; Musicians Hall of Fame Announces 2014 Inductees; Album Releases
- The Kickstarter page for Suzy Bogguss’ album of Merle Haggard songs features a six-minute sampler that sounds mighty fine.
- Dean Dillon will be honored with the BMI Icon Award tonight. Here’s a fine interview he did for American Songwriter.
- Read Barry Mazor’s Wall Street Journal article on the CMA Awards and how they got that way.
- Keifer Thompson won Songwriter of the Year at Sunday’s SESAC Nashville Music Awards. A list of country/Americana winners can be found here.
- Listen to Mandy Barnett’s take on “Blue Blue Day” from her forthcoming Don Gibson tribute record.
- Brandy Clark played “What’ll Keep Me Out of Heaven” at the CMT studios. Watch here.
- The 2014 Musicians Hall of Fame and Museum inductees include Barbara Mandrell, Ben Keith, Velma Smith, Corki Casey O’Dell, Jimmy Capps, Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble, and Buddy Guy. The late Roy Orbison is being honored with the Iconic Riff Award for “Pretty Woman” and Mike Curb will receive the Non-Performing Award.
- Here’s an NPR feature on Paramount Records.
- The Trishas have a cameo in an upcoming movie starring Kris Kristofferson, Connie Britton, and Willie Nelson.
- Best wishes to bluegrasser Danny Paisley, who’s recovering from a couple of heart attacks.
- The Outsiders, Eric Church’s next album, will be released February 11. The record includes “a dark trilogy, for instance, that includes a dramatic recitation of the Shel Silverstein poem “The Devil and Billy Markham.” ”Roller Coaster Ride” actually feels just like one. And album-closer, “The Joint,” is an oddly affecting cross of Tom Waits and J.J. Cale.”
- Brian Mansfield of USA Today and our pals at Country Universe offered up predictions for tomorrow’s CMA Awards. Don’t forget to join us Wednesday at 8 p.m. Eastern for our live blog.
- Taylor Swift will become the second person to receive the CMA Pinnacle Award, which is given to “an artist who has achieved worldwide success in the field of Country music through concert performances and record sales levels.” The only other winner thus far: Garth Brooks.
- Randy Lewis of The L.A. Times wrote a feature on the new Civil War compilation Divided and United.
- Tim Marema of DailyYonder.com wrote a post on Kentucky’s Route 7, “a real country music highway” that’ll take roadtrippers through the hometowns of Jean Ritchie, Roscoe Holcomb, and more.
- Raylene Rankin will be posthumously honored with investiture into the Order of Nova Scotia, which is the highest honor the province can bestow upon somebody. The ceremony will be held November 27.
- American Songwriter debuted “Pay,” a song on Cody Canada’s forthcoming solo acoustic release.
- The Second Annual California Banjo Extravaganza takes over Northern California from November 14-17.
- This week’s album releases (if you dig the content here at E145, we’d appreciate it if you’d purchase stuff through the affiliate links below. It doesn’t cost you extra, but helps us keep the lights on):
Paul Burch – Fevers
Chuck Mead – Upstairs at United, Vol. 8
Dean Brody – Crop Circles
Haymaker – Now Now Now
Newtown – Time Machine
Lydia Loveless – Boy Crazy
Howe Gelb – The Coincidentalist
Ray Price – The Ray Price Christmas Album
Hylo Brown – Hylo Brown & The Timberliners
Lee Moore – Sings Radio Favorites of Country Music
Various Artists – Divided and United: The Songs of the Civil War
Various Artists – Inside Llewyn Davis
- And a book:
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.